new A229 Pro - some questions

Gary D

Reaction score
Country
United States
After years and years with a Street Guardian dashcam (that served me VERY well), my daughter inherited that car and I decided to leave the dash cam in it. As a replacement in my new car, I purchased a Viofo A229 Pro 2 channel kit, and I just installed the primary/front camera today. (I'll wait until the weekend before installing the rear cam.) I'm hoping that this dashcam can be like the SG was: set it and forget it (until you need it.)

After playing around in the menus, I've come up with some questions that I'm hoping the folks here can answer:

In the settings, there's a setting for "Frequency." This is documented as "Set it to minimize flickering and banding in the recorded video." Is that even a thing for a device inside a car running on direct current? I don't understand the purpose of this setting...

I'm trying to configure the "auto-HDR." Keep in mind that I'd like to set this camera up once and never have to mess with it again (unless I need to pull the video.) My understanding is that I'd want the HDR to be on from approximately sunset until sunrise (or whenever it's dim to dark outside.) Sadly, there's no "sunset to sunrise" setting in the camera. As well, sunset/sunrise times change throughout the year (and fairly dramatically.) Even adding additional confusion is that I'm in the United States and subject to "Daylight Savings" time. With all that going on, can anyone offer a suggestion for configuring the auto-HDR?

(BTW, as a suggestion to @VIOFO-Support, the code for calculating sunset/sunrise times based on GPS data is fairly compact and might make a nice addition for those of us wanting to configure the cam to run automatically.)

Back