New Car, new Dashcam

Window101

Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
Hi,

At the moment I use a Thinkware F770 with rear camera and battery interface.
Soon I get a new car and so I want a new camera.
I was looking at BlackVue and Thinkware.
In the past they were, as far as I know, the leading brands for dashcams.

What I want:
- Video front + rear (if possible also interior)
- Battery Interface with monitoring (car will stand a lot, so a monitoring of the charging level would be good)
- Parking monitoring
- Remote Access if possible (tracking, live photo/video)

Sound like you are looking for a smart camera, and in that case you pretty much only have Blackvue and Thinkware, and their top end systems with all the bells and whistles.

You probably also need a dedicated power pack, though these will not last days like a car battery will not, you can daisy chain some of the power packs to gain more recording / functioning time, but that soon take up room in the car and also cost money.
A #2 thing you can do is use Radar while parked, i think both offer that, the problem just is they go to so deep sleep that the cameras can not be accessed remote, but otherwise the use of a radar unit greatly extend the time parking guard will last.

The power packs i dont think you can access while remote, but some do have that option using BT and then a APP on your phone, personally i would not bother with this, either there are power so the system function or there are not, in which case the low voltage have kicked in in order to make sure you can start your car ( if you use car battery, if power pack then to make sure you do not go under minimum charge for lithium cells )

Ah maybe another detail I missed.
The most time, the car will be parked in the underground garage.
There, usually, nothing should happen during parking.
In case the battery of the car is drained too much, the camera could switch itself off.
Also I do not need remote access in that case.
I need the camera and the features just when I am driving or parking outside the garage.
So, I guess, extra battery packs are not necessary.

Maybe your garage have CCTV too, so thats nice to be able to fall back on in case on something big.
Normally you can turn off the camera by long pressing the power button, this will be fine if you park in your own garage which no people get inside.
All hardwire kits will have a lov voltage cut off, generally it is best to keep the car battery above 12.2 volts, the lead acid batteries are not really meant for deep discharge, so doing that can cut into the expected life of the battery.
If using a dedicated dashcam power pack i dont think a hard wire kit are needed, CUZ it will then act to protect itself when it get low enough for that to be a issue.

I personally use always record low bitrate + G-sensor for parking on, and then just for 3 hours on the timer as that cover all my parking in places with no CCTV
I have my own CCTV on the car at home, from my 2 floor apartment, this is needed as the back yard where i park are pitch black at night with a pir LED light that will just back light anyone approaching my car.
The CCTV camera everything are like daylight though it is black & white at night.
right now.jpg

Yes, we have (partially) CCTV.
So, of course there is a rest risk, but I guess that is okay.
Sometimes I switched it off, but most times I relied on the battery monitoring, so that it switches itself off, when the battery is too low.

I think if i was able to park in a lit public / shared underground garage. like for a building or so, i might well be interested in using longer duration of parking guard.
But as i am outside i also have other things to fight but darkness.

This ( snow ) are not that often here, but just rain on the windscreen will also make a positive identification harder.

Ah yeah, rain etc. makes it very difficult.
Here external cameras are better like Tesla use.
But...my car will be just moved if the weather is good.
So it will never see rain, snow and so on or at leat while parking.

Hi,

I tried to find out, when the new BlackVue Dashcams will be available, but unfortunately, there is no information yet.
So, I decided, maybe I will go for the DR900x-2ch-plus.
Are there some things which I have to consider?
If I read correctly, I just need to buy the 2 cameras (everything is already included) and then for the fixed connection to the battery the Power Magic Pro.

Cameras:

Parking mode Battery Monitoring:

Regards

Back