New Firmware question

Sloop

Reaction score
Country
Australia
As a fairly new owner of the SG9965CG could you enlighten me on when I know new firmware is required for my cameras. I notice on the Street Guardian / info web site it has " What is new " and it states firmware is now available for your SG9965CG but can't see a date when it was issued. I know my cameras would have had the latest firmware installed before receiving them just recently so no need to worry at the moment but just want to make sure for the future. If the cameras are working fine is there still a need to install new firmware when available. As you can tell I am a novice on dash cams so I am still learning.

EditJust noticed when clicking on the firmware link it showed a date of Nov 2015 was that the last one ?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Thanks niko, Is there any need to install firmware if the camera is operating ok and should I wait for the releases other than install Beta versions ? I really do not have much of a clue on what is the right thing to do.

I also think like you: "If it's not broken - don't fix it" ;)
You may find a changelog text file after you download new firmware. There are usually minor changes which most people don't see if comparing present public vs new or beta FW, but of course its worth to keep eye on FW updates.

Thank you niko, I have actually bought two SG 9965CG cameras and they are both working great. Not worried about the gps and time sync as it was no problem putting the time etc in manually . Really impressed with day and night quality. I will take your advice and just keep my eye on FW updates and take it from there, As you say "if it's not broke don't fix it ".

Thank you for your quick reply.

No problem.
You can try any new firmware and always roll back if in need.

Thanks joking, as my cameras are performing beautifully What will the new firmware be improving ?

Thanks joking, as my cameras are performing beautifully What will the new firmware be improving ?

there's a couple of changes

1. Change image quality settings for low light situations
2. Improve the bootup process during power cut when starting the engine
3. Add reboot procedure if recording is stopped
4. Bugfix GPS offset problem
5. Bugfix audio issue

we're working on a new beta now for the next version

Thanks joking , can't say I have noticed any of those problems but I will keep a watch for the next firmware.

3. Add reboot procedure if recording is stopped

Hi Jokiin, I have recently ordered one of these units and I am curious about this change to the firmware.
Would some people maybe think this is a bug rather than a feature? I can understand your requirement - if the unit has power, it should be recording but if a person has manually turned recording off, wouldn't it be safe to assume it is for a valid reason and they really want it off for a short period instead of turning the unit totally off?
An example I can think of off the top of my head - maybe a private conversation in the car that people don't want recorded.
Did you get requests from people wanting you to add this feature?

Hi Jokiin, I have recently ordered one of these units and I am curious about this change to the firmware.
Would some people maybe think this is a bug rather than a feature? I can understand your requirement - if the unit has power, it should be recording but if a person has manually turned recording off, wouldn't it be safe to assume it is for a valid reason and they really want it off for a short period instead of turning the unit totally off?

the primary purpose of the camera is to record, if recording stops due to a card error the camera will go to standby, after the timeout the camera would turn off, you could notice that or you could be 3 hours into your journey and still not notice that, with this firmware if a card error caused the recording to stop after the timeout the camera will reboot and start recording again, if a card glitch was the problem that may or may not be the end of that but you would at least get an audible and visible notification that recording had stopped when the camera restarts and the chime happens and the screen comes on

if you stop recording and enter the settings menu but don't exit the menu correctly it will also restart after the time out value

An example I can think of off the top of my head - maybe a private conversation in the car that people don't want recorded.

in the case of audio the more logical thing to do would be to press the mic button to mute recording the audio and you'd still be recording video should anything happen

powering the camera off will stop everything obviously, if you were in the habit of wanting to press the record button to stop a recording and didn't want the camera to reboot then you would just go into the AutoPowerOff menu setting and change it from the default time setting to OFF, then when you manually stop recording it will stay that way until you manually start it again, you have the freedom to have it behave that way if you wish, I'd advise against it though as the disadvantages outweigh the advantages

the primary purpose of the camera is to record, if recording stops due to a card error the camera will go to standby, after the timeout the camera would turn off, you could notice that or you could be 3 hours into your journey and still not notice that, with this firmware if a card error caused the recording to stop after the timeout the camera will reboot and start recording again.
Personally I have seen the benefit of this new firmware feature. As it happens, when I crank my ignition, power is momentarily switched off, so prior to this firmware update the cam turned off as it lost power. As Jokiin mentioned, "you could be 3 hours into a journey and not notice", which is what I did. So the new feature solved my issue as it restarts after the momentary power loss and the restart chime and screen adds to my assurance that I'm driving with a recording camera.

Personally I have seen the benefit of this new firmware feature. As it happens, when I crank my ignition, power is momentarily switched off, so prior to this firmware update the cam turned off as it lost power. As Jokiin mentioned, "you could be 3 hours into a journey and not notice", which is what I did. So the new feature solved my issue as it restarts after the momentary power loss and the restart chime and screen adds to my assurance that I'm driving with a recording camera.

your scenario is precisely the reason we implemented this change

your scenario is precisely the reason we implemented this change
Another reason why your involvement in this forum is appreciated. When a forum member has an issue, manufacturers such as yourself actually take note.

Last edited:
Another reason why your involvement in this forum is appreciated. When a forum member has an issue, manufactures such as yourself actually take note.

thanks, I don't just monitor our products, there's a lot to be learnt from the problems people find in other products, no matter what the product there's always room for improvement, a hint or an idea we pickup along the way can sometimes help us to make an improvement or a new way of doing something, just have to keep pushing forward

Back