New G1W

johnf

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have had it 1 week now (eBay from China, $52 shipped). I really could not be happier with it. Image-wise it is the equal to any dash cam I have or have seen. Really. Maybe I just got a good one, but... Oh, the audio is surprisingly good as well.

I made the mistake of resetting to factory defaults, and had fun figuring out how to get it set back to English. As long as you keep in mind what you paid for it, and what it is meant to do, I feel it is an incredible value. Build quality, poor, but be gentle and it'll be fine.

welcome to the g1w owners club....it really is a amazing device for the price, and my needs will be satisfied for the next years with it (as long you dont get a fake one...)
i have 7 of these ... each one working flawlessly till now, dont know where thy got their bad reputation from
build quality is fine i think...you cant expect more for that price

I receive mine yesterday and started playing with it today. Pretty slick camera for the price.

My only complaint (very minor) is that I wish the lens was black versus chrome so it would be less noticeable.

A couple of quick questions for the experts (I haven't looked into it yet sorry), what's the deal with the motion sensor and g shock? How is that suppose to work or does it even work?

You can paint the chrome-like surfaces using a spray-paint. Cover carefuly the optics and do it!

A couple of quick questions for the experts (I haven't looked into it yet sorry), what's the deal with the motion sensor and g shock? How is that suppose to work or does it even work?

As far as i know, i played around with them:

for motion detection camera hast to be ON, and motion detection has to be enabled, when it detects something in its viewing angle changing, it starts recording and stops after some time, waiting again for changes
in my opinion for fast moving objects as vehicles, bycycles and fast moving persons, too unreliable... in the recording you can see it starts way too late recording... the object is then only partly in the video or already gone

shock detection works another way, camera has to be ON and RECORDING, depending on the choosen shock sensivity setting it reacts to stronger or weaker vibration of camera, if the sensor detects a shock the camera protects the current recorded video from later being overwritten....thats all, thats supposed to be something like crash detection (you can manually protect video any time by pressing mode button while recording), it works indeed...on setting high protection was activated already when i just moved the cam slightly in the mount or pressed button on it

i didnt test though how reliable the file protection works from files being overwritten....since i use 32gb and 64gb and 16gb flashcards and it takes too long to wait out full recording cycle...too much hassle for now...too lazy : D

As far as i know, i played around with them:

for motion detection camera hast to be ON, and motion detection has to be enabled, when it detects something in its viewing angle changing, it starts recording and stops after some time, waiting again for changes
in my opinion for fast moving objects as vehicles, bycycles and fast moving persons, too unreliable... in the recording you can see it starts way too late recording... the object is then only partly in the video or already gone

shock detection works another way, camera has to be ON and RECORDING, depending on the choosen shock sensivity setting it reacts to stronger or weaker vibration of camera, if the sensor detects a shock the camera protects the current recorded video from later being overwritten....thats all, thats supposed to be something like crash detection (you can manually protect video any time by pressing mode button while recording), it works indeed...on setting high protection was activated already when i just moved the cam slightly in the mount or pressed button on it

i didnt test though how reliable the file protection works from files being overwritten....since i use 32gb and 64gb and 16gb flashcards and it takes too long to wait out full recording cycle...too much hassle for now...too lazy : D

Thanks for the detail explanation. I've been testing the motion detection and it's exactly as you described. Also tried the G-Sensor. Wow, I would have never guess that "G-Sensor" auto locks your file (preventing it from being deleted). I was thinking the camera would start recording if it detected a bump.

I have a 64GB card, so both options will be disabled.

maybe the shock sensor should stay on, also on 64gb cards ...
imagine you had a crash and lose your conscience or worse and you car is somewhere with few people/traffic...... it may take longer then 11h (64gb capacity) for someone finding your car......
then the file could have been overwritten in that time and no one would be able to research the cause of the crash

You can paint the chrome-like surfaces using a spray-paint. Cover carefuly the optics and do it!

I took a black permanent sharpie to mine. It's a little easier to work with around the lens. :)

I took a black permanent sharpie to mine. It's a little easier to work with around the lens. :)

I used some black electrical tape, but a black sharpie works way better. Thanks

Anyone know what the "Screen Protection" setting does?

Back