New Member, with questions......

JamesDee

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Lukas 7900 and UPS backup module
I am seriously looking at the Lukas 7900 for my very first car cam, and I had a vew questions.. First, someone here said that the maximum time for the file is 3 minutes, but after downloading the software for the camera, it looks like it gives options to select driving route interval from none, to 60 minutes, in about 6 different settings. Why do you say the maximum time is 3 minutes, I guess I am not understanding something here.

When I connect the sd card to the computer, is the Lukas software installed on the card already, as I am not sure , how we customize the settings using the desktop software.

When the card is formatted, does it maintain the settings that have been previoulsy stored using the software ?

What is the life expectency of the SD card in the camera, being that it is being constantly written to over and over again , is this an issue down the road ?

Sorry for all the questions, as I am sure there will be more, just I am a virgin here in the car cam world :)

JamesDee said:
I am seriously looking at the Lukas 7900 for my very first car cam, and I had a vew questions.. First, someone here said that the maximum time for the file is 3 minutes, but after downloading the software for the camera, it looks like it gives options to select driving route interval from none, to 60 minutes, in about 6 different settings. Why do you say the maximum time is 3 minutes, I guess I am not understanding something here.

When I connect the sd card to the computer, is the Lukas software installed on the card already, as I am not sure , how we customize the settings using the desktop software.

When the card is formatted, does it maintain the settings that have been previoulsy stored using the software ?

What is the life expectency of the SD card in the camera, being that it is being constantly written to over and over again , is this an issue down the road ?

Sorry for all the questions, as I am sure there will be more, just I am a virgin here in the car cam world :)

There is a default configuration file on the card so all you need to do it insert it and use the camera. Many people back up this card before using.
The video clips are saved in 3 minute intervals. This means there will be many video files saved on the SD card for each trip. I drive 40 miles to work and can see 15 files saved that represent my entire drive. The settings you use to configure your camera are saved to the card. When you format the card you then save the settings using the viewer.

There is no known life expectancy as far as I know. It's recommended you format the card regularly to prevent corruption.

If that was the case, what does it mean in the Lukas Software when it says select driving route interval from none, to 60 minutes, in about 6 different settings. What is that referring too ?

And one last question, if I decide to upgrade the SD card to a larger capacity card, what is the procedure to install all the necessary files to the SD card to make it work ? Is it just a matter of copying and pasting the newest firmware version onto the sd card, then boot the device up ?

driving route interval is the gps info

and yes, firmware update is as easy as that ;)

@JamesDee I posed the same question to lukas and they replied the 0 to 60 mins are for editing process the camera will always record in 3 minute segments when you are next out and about check the total trip indicator bottom right of screen mine and several others complain it shows several times more than the distance actually travelled.....Lukas are in the process of trying to resolve the problem...not everyone experiences the problem but sufficient numbers to be a cause for concern.......regards Ipol.......

Back