NEW to Koonlung K1S Dual Dash Camera w/ GPS Logger - 2 GPS Questions.

Robert Hughes

Reaction score
Country
United States
Purchased the K1S unit in September 2015 and had it "professionally" installed - directly to my 2015 Ford Explorer fuse box with an "in line fuse" before the connection. I have a dash mounted "on/off" toggle switch so I can turn on or off the K1S unit at will. It works great!

Unfortunately, having been laid-up for the past two plus months, I have not had time to use the "menu" to set up the K1S unit completely. It was only last week that I discovered that the internet store had not sent me the GPS logger and split wire I had paid for (in process of have store send me the missing parts). I also discovered I needed to have an "outside supplier" for the unit's GPS Logger to work. I am "old school", and not very "tech literate", but I do have a computer, but what now?

Question 1: Does anyone know of a "excellent" GPS data (Vehicle MPH, location, road speeds, etc.) supplier that works with the Koonlung K1S Dual Dash Cameras w/ GPS Logger unit?

Question 2: How do you install it to the K1S DVR? I believe I have the basics, but I want to make sure I have it "ALL" (download from supplier to my computer, then hookup DVR to my computer and download to the DVR files?).

All help will be appreciated!

Purchased the K1S unit in September 2015 and had it "professionally" installed - directly to my 2015 Ford Explorer fuse box with an "in line fuse" before the connection. I have a dash mounted "on/off" toggle switch so I can turn on or off the K1S unit at will. It works great!

Unfortunately, having been laid-up for the past two plus months, I have not had time to use the "menu" to set up the K1S unit completely. It was only last week that I discovered that the internet store had not sent me the GPS logger and split wire I had paid for (in process of have store send me the missing parts). I also discovered I needed to have an "outside supplier" for the unit's GPS Logger to work. I am "old school", and not very "tech literate", but I do have a computer, but what now?

Question 1: Does anyone know of a "excellent" GPS data (Vehicle MPH, location, road speeds, etc.) supplier that works with the Koonlung K1S Dual Dash Cameras w/ GPS Logger unit?

Question 2: How do you install it to the K1S DVR? I believe I have the basics, but I want to make sure I have it "ALL" (download from supplier to my computer, then hookup DVR to my computer and download to the DVR files?).

All help will be appreciated!

Sorry, I guess I did not make it a clear question. I know that the K1S GPS part must be used with the K1S DVR for the unit to use GPS positioning etc., but
it was my understanding (right or wrong) that Koonlung does not have their own GPS satellite, and the user had to use/choose/purchase another company's services (Navitel, Garmin, etc.) to have the GPS data appear on the K1S unit.

nobody purchases satellite service, we all use the same free access, I think you may be getting confused with GPS mapping services where map providers do the overlays that turn the signals received into something useful

the GPS in a dashcam just logs data to provide position, speed, time etc, nothing to do with mapping or navigation

Its just a plain old koonlung Gps logger and the twin cable splitter you need all supplied by koonlung..

lets hope they fitted the koonlung power cable with microphone ..

OLD GUY SLOWLY LEARNING thanks to you younger gentlemen! So, when the internet company sends me the GPS Logger wire along with the split-er wire, I hook them up and turn on the K1S and "WA-la", I start getting my vehicle's MPH, direction, top speed limiter, latitude - longitude, radar warning etc.!

Big THANK YOU!

OLD GUY SLOWLY LEARNING thanks to you younger gentlemen! So, when the internet company sends me the GPS Logger wire along with the split-er wire, I hook them up and turn on the K1S and "WA-la", I start getting my vehicle's MPH, direction, top speed limiter, latitude - longitude, radar warning etc.!

that's it

radar warning might not happen though, that's region dependant

Back