New unused auxiliary battery

Spaghetti888

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've seen people selling second hand battery packs like the Blackvue/Cellink ones - sometimes used, sometimes unused. My question is whether such a battery can be stored for years without use without suffering degradation, and if so, would it even be significant?
Looking forward to some tech input on this as I can't seem to Google what I want.

Ed

You are supposed to use lithium batteries occasionally to keep them in good condition, a couple of times a year is fine but I wouldn't trust one to be in good condition after multiple years of zero exercise.

The other issue is that the Blackvue/Cellink batteries don't necessarily have a long lifespan anyway, so if they have been cycled a couple of hundred times before being stored then you should consider them to be well used. I think the warranty on a new one does have some significant value.

At the right price then they will be worth having, but I would estimate that to be a fairly low price compared to the original cost, if paying a significant amount then I would want to know that they do actually charge and discharge with a reasonable capacity.

Of course there is the option of replacing the cells if there are any problems, which may make sense if you can get them at a good price, but I'm not sure that it is always the cells that fail on those batteries.

Hi Nigel,
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about new unused ones but you just never know how long they've been in storage. I'm willing to go used and if need be, have the cells replaced or attempt to do it myself. I don't mind tinkering and learning but I wouldn't want to have to do that on something that's supposedly in new condition.
Ed

I'm not sure why a new one would be sitting around for long enough to be a problem, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Replacing the cells with decent quality new ones is not as easy or cheap as you might expect, so if you think it might be necessary, I suggest you read up on that first. I think the new ones should probably be welded into the circuit, they don't have a spring loaded cell holder, and they are not normally soldered since that can damage the cells.

Q1 2024 we will be getting a new dedicated dash cam battery pack from a new manufacturer, (not EGEN Korea).
It will be half the cost of the BBMC PowerCell 8 & BlackVue B-130X.
Capacity will be 100Wh.

Back