New Video Review of the DR650GW-2CH & Infrared Camera

AndrewL

Reaction score
Country
Canada
This camera has been out for a while but I wanted to get a detailed review out as the other reviews don't go in depth on the camera.

Written Article: https://www.carcamcentral.com/review/blackvue-dr650gw-2ch-cloud-ir-review

The usual stuff, rather poor video quality, great design, compactness, audible notifications, customization and easy parked recording. Raw videos are on my website.

A bit surprising was how you could record & transfer files over WiFi // Internet. Normally that's not possible.

Personally I like this camera and seeing the popularity of this subforum I think the flaw with the video quality is often overlooked. I am looking forward to the new firmware.

I keep pestering Blackvue on Faceache about bitrate. They don't seem to understand that it's key and the cloud features, whilst a nice to have, don't really work very well unless your car has a wireless hotspot.

I keep pestering Blackvue on Faceache about bitrate. They don't seem to understand that it's key and the cloud features, whilst a nice to have, don't really work very well unless your car has a wireless hotspot.
They are increasing the bit rate later this month

I bet it won't be more than the 8.5mbps of V1.009.

I bet it won't be more than the 8.5mbps of V1.009.
Regarding the bit rate options:
"The Normal bitrate will be 6Mbps, High bitrate will be 7 Mbps and the Highest bitrate will be 8Mbps."

Regarding the bit rate options:
"The Normal bitrate will be 6Mbps, High bitrate will be 7 Mbps and the Highest bitrate will be 8Mbps."

Thanks. So about 50% behind some of its competitors, Oh well.

Beginning to think Blackvue are becoming arrogant and not listening to their customers.

Not that it matters, but I really like everything about this camera and was considering buying the dual channel 650. I am not buying it specifically because of the bitrate issue. I am no one to their sales but I have to imagine I am not alone in passing this camera up because of the low bitrate.

Blackvue - if you read this know that image quality and the bitrate issues need to be your number 1 priority in whatever camera follows this up. Everything else is great to me anyway (cloud feature is not needed though) and I would purchase if these major issues were fixed. As it is I will be going elsewhere. I hope to see the replacement improve, and soon.

Thanks. So about 50% behind some of its competitors, Oh well.

Beginning to think Blackvue are becoming arrogant and not listening to their customers.
I think a number of users figured this out some time ago.. :D but it needs repeating

Not that it matters, but I really like everything about this camera and was considering buying the dual channel 650. I am not buying it specifically because of the bitrate issue. I am no one to their sales but I have to imagine I am not alone in passing this camera up because of the low bitrate.

Blackvue - if you read this know that image quality and the bitrate issues need to be your number 1 priority in whatever camera follows this up. Everything else is great to me anyway (cloud feature is not needed though) and I would purchase if these major issues were fixed. As it is I will be going elsewhere. I hope to see the replacement improve, and soon.

BlackVue don't monitor this forum, but you can contact them at sales@pittasoft.com :) Cheers

I've just bought a DOD LS470W+ that I am going to run side by side with the Blackvue just to see what they're like in comparison.

Back