Newbie having trouble downloading videos via usb sd card readers

Bjaspud

Reaction score
Country
United States
My laptop refuses to recognize any of my usb card readers.

I know that I'm capturing video on my VIOFO approved Sandisk micro sd card. If I put the micro sd card into my Sandisk card adapter and put it directly into my old laptop, which has a reader slot, I can see my downloaded videos.

If I put the card adapter into either of two different usb card readers, and plug them into my regular laptop, I get nothing. The laptop does not register that anything has been plugged into the usb port. Nada, zilch.

I've updated the USB driver. No help.

The micro-sd card adapter is in the unlocked position.

I've formatted the sd card in the dash cam prior to use.

I've confirmed that the usb port on my laptop work when I plug in other devices.

Is there some trick I'm missing to getting a micro sd card- plugged into an unlocked adapter- inserted into a Sandisk or Ritz gear brand usb reader to be recognized ? Or do i just happen to 2 bad usb readers? Or is it something to do with my regular laptop not recognizing the file format while my old computer does?

Long story short - how to I get my laptop to 'see' the videos on my sd card?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Which OS are you running? There should be some form of device manager that should show when the card reader is plugged in even if there is no card installed. If the device manager can't see the card reader even without a card plugged in, it is probably the card reader that is the problem (those are cheap, order a few different brands). Otherwise, try a few different SD to uSD adapters. Most people have lots of extra card adapters, you usually get one with every card you buy.
Do the card readers work with you phone? You would probably need a usb C to A adapter. Worst comes to worst, copy the file onto you old laptop then transfer it to a thumb drive to get it to your main computer.
Also, the camera itself should probably work as a card reader.

Back