Nextbase 402G battery and File problems

Willum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm new to this, so be gentle :)
I have a Nextbase 402G that's been used on our Motorhome for the last couple of years. I've now got three problems to solve.
1. It doesn't get a lot of use (about 4K miles a year) but the battery is obviously failing. About 30-40 seconds after the ignition being switched off, it chirps a 'low battery' warning. Charging it off the vehicle makes no difference. I know it's an old chestnut and from what I've read, heat seems to be the culprit. A bit hard to believe in my case, because when the vehicle is parked, there's an insulated cover over the screen to stop the Motorhome getting hot inside.
Are the batteries just a duff batch, where's the best place to get a reliable one............. and is it just going to fail again after about a year? (that's how long the original lasted, before complaining)
2. Where is the best place to look for the latest Firmware update? 'Version' says: 402-201505060-R08 13E04ECA00
3. How can I get rid of the files still on my spare 32Gb card? I've tried formatting it on the camera, a Mac, a Linux-based system and Windows and nothing will delete them. I understand the G-sensor can be a problem, making the Cam think it's been in an accident, so locks a file. Any way round all this, my card is slowly filling up.
Apologies for the list but I think I need to solve the problems. I don't want to throw it, or buy a new one if the snags can be got rid of.
Willum ;)

Well, it looks like the lousy thing made it's own decision. Did lots of research and found the method to replace the battery and update the firmware.
Step 1. Ordered a new battery.
Step 2. Followed the instructions to the letter and did the upgrade to R09 from R08. All went as described, it rebooted itself to the 'Language' select screen - then refused to do anything else. No reset, no power off, no re-do of firmware, NOTHING!:mad:
Step 3. Phone Nextbase. They told me what to do, I did it - then they said it would have to go back to them. Estimated repair cost: £40 (including a battery), or possibly a replacement unit!
Is it worth it? I begin to think not. The battery will likely only last a year (again) and they (despite Which Best Buy, etc) seem to be unreliable and flakey.
Not impressed at all. Maybe a switch to the like of the A119.................
Willum

Back