Nextbase iq 2K

RogerDS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!
I'm planning to purchase the Nextbase iQ 2K smart dash cam, but I want to make sure it performs well in low-light conditions, as I often drive at night. I'm particularly interested in the 1440p resolution at 60fps, but I'm wondering if this really makes a significant difference in clarity during nighttime driving compared to the 30fps option. Also, how does the higher frame rate affect storage requirements?
Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated!

All 60 FPS do is make the video smoother, and of course make so 1:60 second is the slowest exposure time the camera can go to as otherwise it can not do 60 frames in a second.
I have once many years ago compared 2 identical cameras, both on automatic settings but the one just set to 60 FPS and the other to 30 FPS, and there was not really a difference in their ability to capture little details at speed.
After that experiment i gave up on my notion at the time that 60 FPS would be the next kick ass feature in dashcams.

You will for sure want a camera with the Sony starvis 2 sensors in it, at this time those are cammed IMX 675 ( 1440p ) and IMX 678 for 4K resolution.
of course you will also like the sensors to be utilized to their full potential, some times some brands lag a little on this.

These IQ cameras, since launch we have heard very little off them, making me think it is yet another bummed series from Nextbase.

Too add to the above, twice as many frames (60 per second versus 30 per second) will use twice as much storage resulting in half as much recording time on a given card.

Back