Nextbase IQ picture quality

@davedavedave
Surely you can not be pleased with this.
Especially everything under direct illumination from headlights is overexposed.
However, the Nextbase logo at the top of the screen is razor sharp.

View attachment 69535
Zoom in.

Even the Nextbase logo isn't sharp compared to the date/time overlay at the bottom too :p

As i recall the 1080p starvis 2 sensor have even larger pixels then the 1440 and 4K sensors, but it do not seem to have HDR in that latest recording.

As i recall the 1080p starvis 2 sensor have even larger pixels then the 1440 and 4K sensors, but it do not seem to have HDR in that latest recording.
Oh it's just a ****ing mess as most of us here predicted it would be. I feel bad for customers who bought into a promise

Completely agree with the comments on poor quality and I've asked Nextbase for a refund

Does anyone know how they treat refunds when the product quality is poor?

Thanks for all the comments so far

Does anyone know how they treat refunds when the product quality is poor?
Since you got it direct, I guess the distance selling regulations apply, which give you 14 days from receiving the goods to inform them of a return, so I don't think they can legally refuse your return, looks like you have asked soon enough, and they should give a full refund. It will be interesting to see if they do so without argument, but they should do. Normally when people complain about faulty batteries, they try to sell them a new "refurbished" unit at about half price, even if it is still within the warranty period, so they don't have the best reputation for things like this. Stand up for your rights if required!

Thanks Nigel. The principle of the unit is good, but not being able to even see number plates on the footage isn't great.
Hopefully they'll play ball with the return.

The principle of the unit is good,
The sales talk is very good!

but not being able to even see number plates on the footage isn't great.
Yes, not being able to read number plates at night is normal, although some of the new Sony Starvis 2 HDR cameras can do an amazing job.
Not being able to even see the number plates makes it about the worst image quality we have seen recently from any dashcam!

Looks like it was designed, built and tested indoors, based on invalid theories about what makes a good dashcam.
It would be interesting to see one of the best quality daytime samples, you only posted the night time sample in "high quality"...

It actually looks like quite a good image sensor and lens, but if you want a good photograph, giving a cheap camera to a Professional Photographer will give much better results than giving a top quality Pro camera to an inexperienced non-photographer, just looks like the developers didn't know what they were doing and were spending most of their time on AI software on their cloud servers that they never completed before launch.

Yeah, I'm not sure. You evidently know much more than I do, but when spending nearly £300 you'd expect something pretty high end.

Yeah, I'm not sure. You evidently know much more than I do, but when spending nearly £300 you'd expect something pretty high end.
For reference, I'll borrow a recent clip from @Panzer Platform , testing Viofo's A119 Mini 2 in the dark, with USA plates (small writing) so much more difficult to read than UK plates.

(Currently on sale for £89.65 @ www.viofo.com):

@davedavedave
If image quality is your priority get a Viofo.
If cloud is your priority get a BlackVue.
If parking mode is your priority get a Thinkware.
I would not wish Nextbase on my worst enemy. lol

Just for reference, Nextbase have been pretty quick to respond and supply a returns label.
Will be packed and shipped this week

Shame really, the unit should be good for the cost...

Will be packed and shipped this week
I commend you for “voting with your wallet”.
That’s the only thing manufacturers seem to understand.
Since you're a paying customer, I’m excited what dash cam you will try next.
-Chuck

Nextbase are a large company and I'm really surprised they haven't learnt from their often unreliable as posted here series 2

Being told to use their mega expensive SDcard and being told to format it fortnightly just doesn't wash with me. Also, this dangling from a stalk just doesn't make sense either

It does seem the IQ has supercaps so that's one lesson learned

I've had these stalk dashcams before and they all vibrated over less than perfect roads making for a shaky video. The solid wedge design with incorporated lens makes far more sense

A refund without quibble, that say it all !!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
cpo IQ 12
kamkar IQ 222
Back