nightsky timelapse

Tungsten E2

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Did anybody manage to take a nightsky timelapse with the stars moving?

When I start a timelapse just before sunset the sky just becomes black after 2 hrs.

When I start a timelapse when it is dark already I see bright light of airplanes or the moon, but no stars.

New night setting was enabled.

You will need to use a photo timelapse for stars, the video timelapse will not use long enough shutter times.
Also set the shutter and ISO settings manually, start with the highest values, and then reduce them a bit depending on how much light pollution you have.
It can help to set the white balance to tungsten if you have light pollution from orange (sodium) street lights.

Then you need a video editor that can import a sequence of photos and turn them into a video.

Gitup G3, 20 seconds @ ISO 200, white balance-Daylight, 0.5 seconds interval timer, cropped on computer.
y4mQ1J8Uja5BtQhjei2MNtiQFwhlriTyzrrJloAHO91nn65BinWweHNUSsa3-InNnFltymMa1r16mc2hklIhfXZYVQQTZYwGoIPjbkX0ZnrfvocWGZKI_DUi9P-3xsomYpvrnEK2LrLK8SQmi_rqafBhqbSHj15UgjQYoLrgWoYfsiZ5Ox_dPd5_m5FD4VCBkKRe6Jg3YUxAD9oy9mBuSmdcA

thx, I was hoping for some development here.
my canon was able to do so couple of years ago.

I did this already with my DSLR but this is always so much work with all the tools you need.

thx, I was hoping for some development here.
my canon was able to do so couple of years ago.

I did this already with my DSLR but this is always so much work with all the tools you need.
You can just select the photos you want to use, drag and drop them into windows movie maker and export the video, doesn't take much effort.

Of course if you want to use the raw photos and subtract dark frames and produce a 4K movie then it is easy to turn it into a major task with a lot of processing required!

yes, but each picture will have different exposure, if you not set it fixed values. this will lead to flickering in final movie.
addtional steps are needed to avoid this. so I was hoping for a out-of-cam solution.... ;-)

yes, but each picture will have different exposure, if you not set it fixed values. this will lead to flickering in final movie.
addtional steps are needed to avoid this. so I was hoping for a out-of-cam solution.... ;-)
For images of the stars you need to set the exposure manually since the camera can't guess at what you want to achieve. So the time-lapse photos will all have the same exposure and there wont be any issue.

here comes the comparision: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmtdp5Ld

judge by yourself

I think best results are with Git3 at 30sec@800ISO or 60sec@400ISO. With 60sec@400ISO there is less noise but stars already started moving a bit.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Git3 11