Non-GPS mount for A119 Mini 2?

speedingcheetah

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
VIOFO A119 Mini2 (Front & Rear) [A119v1/Mini 0826 old cams]
The A119 V1 i have had since 2016, came with 2 mounts, a thick, GPS mount, and a slim, just plastic, non-GPS mount (I been using this mount)

It is a different mount type than the one that works for the Mini 2.

I considering buying a 2nd Mini 2 to use as my rear cam, however, due to the design of of my rear hatch, being such an extreme angle, and already messed up the upper plastic trim with failed attempts of gluing a cam mount to it, i had to resort to using small screws through its plastic mount to hold it up (its a Mini 0826 cam).

Obviously, i can not use screws through the GPS mount that comes with the Mini 2.

So, i would need a plain simple, plastic only, no internal electronics, type mount.

I do not see any such mount listed under accessories on teh Viofo website store....

And i do not own or know how to use a 3D printer to make one :(

UPDATE: I did get a 2nd A119 Mini 2 and stuck it where my old cam was fine. So far, it is staying in place, but the cold temps of winter are soon here... hopefully it stays in place.
Also, can not stick it to my back glass directly as it has tint film installed on it.

Last edited:
The A119 V1 i have had since 2016, came with 2 mounts, a thick, GPS mount, and a slim, just plastic, non-GPS mount (I been using this mount)

It is a different mount type than the one that works for the Mini 2.

I considering buying a 2nd Mini 2 to use as my rear cam, however, due to the design of of my rear hatch, being such an extreme angle, and already messed up the upper plastic trim with failed attempts of gluing a cam mount to it, i had to resort to using small screws through its plastic mount to hold it up (its a Mini 0826 cam).

Obviously, i can not use screws through the GPS mount that comes with the Mini 2.

So, i would need a plain simple, plastic only, no internal electronics, type mount.

I do not see any such mount listed under accessories on teh Viofo website store....

And i do not own or know how to use a 3D printer to make one :(
Have you tried reaching out to @VIOFO-Support maybe they have a spare one lying around? Otherwise if they're not on sale anymore (doubtful due to the age of the pre-v3 A119), then you're out of luck sorry.

Have you tried reaching out to @VIOFO-Support maybe they have a spare one lying around? Otherwise if they're not on sale anymore (doubtful due to the age of the pre-v3 A119), then you're out of luck sorry.
What? Think you misunderstood.

The V1 mount will not work on the Mini 2 model.

I need a Non GPS mount for the new current model, A119 Mini 2 …Which they don’t seem to make

What? Think you misunderstood.

The V1 mount will not work on the Mini 2 model.

I need a Non GPS mount for the new current model, A119 Mini 2 …Which they don’t seem to make
Huh? Well seems like you're asking a niche case here, in which you'd need to ask someone with a 3D printer as you said to make one.

Don't think there's anyone here on the forum that does 3D printing but I may be mistaken. Either way, best of luck.

Huh? Well seems like you're asking a niche case here, in which you'd need to ask someone with a 3D printer as you said to make one.

Don't think there's anyone here on the forum that does 3D printing but I may be mistaken. Either way, best of luck.
I don’t see how it’s niche. I would think people would want either option of mount, and they offered them in the past. I had also assumed that it would come with both options of mounts. Seriously few cents of plastic it takes to make a standard mount. Not sure why they didn’t include it in their current model camera.

I don’t see how it’s niche. I would think people would want either option of mount, and they offered them in the past. I had also assumed that it would come with both options of mounts. Seriously few cents of plastic it takes to make a standard mount. Not sure why they didn’t include it in their current model camera.
Back in the day, the question of GPS or not-to-GPS was more paramount because that was a differentiating factor in a purchase decision for a dash cam - not every cam had GPS. These days, it's accepted that a dash cam has GPS in-built to the body or through the mount itself.

Unfortunately it leaves some folks out in the cold such as yourself, and I'm unsure exactly why the technology hasn't enabled thinner mounts than previously used with the tech, but it is what it is. Also, a few cents saved on one unit made adds up to a lot of thousands of units made, so there's that to factor in too.

Is there anything stronger/ more suited for adhering to smooth plastic interior body trim vs glass, as the 3M VHB adhesive that comes on the GPS mount for the cam?

Excluding epoxy like JB Wiled, as can't stand there for a hour holding the mount in place.

I have used various adhesive tapes/putty brands over the years on random things around the house, with mixed results, not really ever needed to adhere things to my cars trim.

Is there teardown of the GPS mount for the A119 Mini 2?
Maybe i can figure out how to get some screws through it, without damaging the internals.
If only the case screws on the thing weren't facing the application side, and not the cam side.

Is there anything stronger/ more suited for adhering to smooth plastic interior body trim vs glass, as the 3M VHB adhesive that comes on the GPS mount for the cam?

Excluding epoxy like JB Wiled, as can't stand there for a hour holding the mount in place.

I have used various adhesive tapes/putty brands over the years on random things around the house, with mixed results, not really ever needed to adhere things to my cars trim.
3M VHB claims to stick to a lot of stuff, including plastic, but there is primer called 3M VHB LSE apparently - but seems that more like for surfaces like polystyrene. I'm sure there will be some 3M VHB solution

3M will stick to smooth plastic fine, as long as the plastic is free of wax polish, grease and oils. Some plastics leak oil from the manufacturing so are very hard to get clean, in which case a small amount of plastic primer is needed (any old plastic primer will do, doesn't need to be 3M), but most just need a very good clean.

3M will stick to smooth plastic fine, as long as the plastic is free of wax polish, grease and oils. Some plastics leak oil from the manufacturing so are very hard to get clean, in which case a small amount of plastic primer is needed (any old plastic primer will do, doesn't need to be 3M), but most just need a very good clean.
I will wipe the area down with Rubbing alcohol to clean it best i can. No idea on this "plastics leaks oil" thing, never heard of that. Not sure as to the kinda of interior trim plastic Dodge uses back in 2007, but the 3M mount tape that came on Min 0826 cam, did not stay stuck long, and i ended up using some crazy glue and Gorilla tape across the mount to keep it up all these years.
Mainly, when warm out, it did stick, but soon as temps dropped, as they do in winter, it would fall off.

The design of that mount is very different than the Mini 2, as the camera hangs under it, allowing most of the mount to be exposed, so a tape over it like sling, works out.
Not so with the mount of the Mini2, the cam slides on and full covers the entire mount.
It also being flush against the back of the cam, means nothing can be applied or stick out from the surface of the mount, else it will prevent the cam from mounting.
So even if i could get a small screw(s) threw the mount, they would stick out and prevent the cam from mounting...
Since the case screws to assemble the mount are facing the backside of the mount, that sits flush against the mount service, that makes it impossible to disassemble the mount, attach the back half of the mount to the trim with screws, then re-assemble the front half of mount. If the assembly design of the thing was reverse, it would work.

I am getting my 2nd A119 Mini2 later this evening from Amazon. Hope to see about installing it as my rear cam tomorrow, as it will be dark and rainy out by the time it comes.

No idea on this "plastics leaks oil" thing, never heard of that.
You've likely heard of this as being 'outgassing' or 'offgassing' but neither term is totally accurate either. What happens is some of the compounds used in the manufacture of plastics will 'evaporate' over time. (This is one of the factors that cause older plastics to become brittle as they age.) You can see this in new vehicles when these compounds will subsequently settle on various surfaces in the interior - most noticeably on the windows causing a haze like cigarette smoke might do.

What happens when VHB tape is put on plastic this evaporated material has no place to go so it accumulates between the plastic and the tape and will eventually break the bond between them.

Only had a quick scan of the thread but why not stick it to the glass as you would the front? This is what I did with mine.

Only had a quick scan of the thread but why not stick it to the glass as you would the front? This is what I did with mine.
I guess i failed to mention why i cant do that... The window has tint film installed on it. Can not stick to that, it will just peel it off due to the weight.

BUt, i can update this trhead, i did get a 2nd A119 Mini 2 and it mounted where my old cam was on the top trim fine,. The lens is at its lowest postilion, which is just barely enough to be at the right angle, but it is fine.

Back