"Not supported" ?

Michael_K

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Thinkware FA200 dual, D1-era dual camera (side view)
I just tried posting some video from my dashcam -- but got "Video format or MIME type is not supported."

Details:
Thinkware FA200
H264 -- MPEG4 AVC
filename suffix is .mp4
uploaded to flickr

Actually, I didn't hit 'Post thread' -- I tried 'Preview', which is what gave me that error.

I searched this forum to find some info. Found discussion of mpeg4, so it looks like it should work.
So, what's wrong, and can I make it work?

You may need to re-encode your file to flickr standards. Are you using VLC or have FFMpeg installed? Ffprobe, which comes installed with ffmpeg gives detailed information about the encoding.

You may need to re-encode your file to flickr standards. Are you using VLC or have FFMpeg installed? Ffprobe, which comes installed with ffmpeg gives detailed information about the encoding.
To 'flickr standards'? I meant that I tried to post the videos here. It's DCT that's doesn't like my videos.
They play fine in flickr.

It looks like you post on youtube. I'm hoping someone here knows about flickr; it's a supported file-sharing site, so why won't it work?
I uploaded another video (.mov format) and tried to post it here -- I got the same error.

Surely, DCT accepts .mp4 and .mov formats. So, why do I get that error?

Surely, DCT accepts .mp4 and .mov formats. So, why do I get that error?

DashCamTalk does not host video files.

You need to host videos elsewhere and then insert the URL for the video into your post. The latest version of XenForo, the software that DCT runs on now accepts many different video hosting services and entities, including Flickr.

To place a video directly in your DCT posts select the "INSERT" tool from the menu. It will reveal a drop down menu of choices. Select "Media".

media.jpg

Enter the URL for your video from whatever site it resides on and then click "Continue".

If your file plays properly on any of the listed sites it should work on DCT.

insert_media.jpg

Last edited:
DashCamTalk does not host video files.

You need to host videos elsewhere and then insert the URL for the video into your post. The latest version of XenForo, the software that DCT runs on now accepts many different video hosting services and entities, including Flickr.

To place a video directly in your DCT posts select the "INSERT" tool from the menu. It will reveal a drop down menu of choices. Select "Media".

View attachment 45680

Enter the URL for your video from whatever site it resides on and then click "Continue".

If your file plays properly on any of the listed sites it should work on DCT.

View attachment 45678

Yes, I did all that. I thought it was obvious, considering that I mentioned flickr a few times.

Yes, I did all that. I thought it was obvious, considering that I mentioned flickr a few times.

"OBVIOUS"? In fact, your original post doesn't in any way explain what you did or didn't actually do to post a video here on DCT.
You did mention that you uploaded it to Flickr but not how you tried to post it to DCT.

In your next post you said, "I meant that I tried to post the videos here. It's DCT that's doesn't like my videos." (Wonder what he did?)

And then you said, "Surely, DCT accepts .mp4 and .mov formats." ( Well, DCT certainly does if you do it properly.)

Then you said, "Actually, I didn't hit 'Post thread' -- I tried 'Preview'." (Still wonder WFT he did to post his video to DCT? He doesn't actually say. Maybe he tried to link directly instead of "inserting" media?)

What your "explanation" does sound like is that you posted a video on Flickr but don't have a clue how to post that video to DCT.

What is abundantly "obvious" here is not what you seem to think it is. Not the first time we've witnessed this.

Sorry I wasted my time trying to offer helpful advice.

Good luck with your videos. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
"Sometimes, the glaringly obvious isn't always readily apparent."

Ok, maybe I assumed certain details that I shouldn't have. And, my post going for 10 days and about 150 reads -without a reply- probably says something. So, I'll try again.

Even tho I'm new here, I can see that videos can't be posted directly (you have to use the Insert function, then 'media'). And, yes, I noticed that DCT allows use of only certain sharing sites.
So, I checked out every one -- and decided that flickr worked best for me. I created an account there (which happened to be the same day that they put video sharing on hold).
They finally got that sorted, and I had to learn how to use their site.

By 'post video', I meant that I tried to make a post that had my videos inserted with the Insert function.

So, to get the link for the video, I go to flickr's Photostream, click on the video, then click the 'share' arrow to get the link (and copy it to the buffer).
I noticed that public and private links are different, and DCT won't accept private links. I originally had my videos set to 'private' (thinking that I could still give the link for DCT's Insert function). No! For DCT to accept them, they have to be set to 'public'. And I noticed that a bunch of flickr users are viewing them.

Then I went back to DCT to make the post: click on Insert, choose 'media', and paste it.

To check my post, I used 'preview'. This is where I saw the error -- "Video format or MIME type is not supported." It's on the video (not text somewhere else).
One interesting thing is that it does show the first frame! (Meaning that it's not just a blank rectangle.) If it's not supported, how does it show that?
When I mouse-over the video, it'll show the file name.
There is a 'play arrow' on the video, but clicking it does nothing. Should it play in the preview?

Details:
Thinkware FA200
H264 -- MPEG4 AVC
filename suffix is .mp4

So, did I give enough specifics?

EDIT: second line

Last edited:
OK, I would start by trying to post a video directly to a DCT thread and skip the "preview" thing. See if that works. If not then just delete the post and try something else.

You could even try it here in this thread where whatever happens when you try to post the video won't disrupt anything and could also be instructive in trying to sort your problem.

Last edited:
YouTube has always worked for me here. If access to raw files is needed I use mega.nz and post a link. Some of my earlier pics here are gone when the host sites shut down or changed access but these two always work if the files aren't too big.

Phil

Back