Not that impressed with 612 video quality, example attached

It is a very hard environment you are driving in, something that really cant have a too high bitrate to keep track of all the detail.
And dashcams are not really geared for detail, granted 4K will have more of it than 1080p but in a location like that you will loose what ever you have just as fast with either resolution.
That is also why if i should make a drive video i would use a action camera or something else that will secure me the best possible detail level with a high bitrate.

I am also still arguing for more bitrate in dashcams, and so also bigger storage medias and ways of moving footage off the camera system.
You can get bigger and bigger memory cards, but really i dont feel those will cut it, not least in multicam & high bitrate systems.

Well 45 Mb/s is not too bad for bitrate, the main issue seems to be slow shutter speed causing motion blur, which seems strange considering it is sunny!

You are doing 50mph, which is 100mph closing speed on the other cars, so number plate reading isn't going to be easy for any camera, but many will do better than that in sunshine!

On the positive side, the shadows are nicely exposed.

Tbh I wouldn't say it's just a problem for the 612 even my 322 and 522 etc quality can be hit or miss when changing light conditions through forestry stretches of roads.

Thanks for the feedback, the 612 is my first dashcam, I was expecting it to pick up number plates, in daylight, at the very least. Oh well, I'll just wait for the 632, or whatever, in a year or so.

Sadly it can be blazing sunshine and the height of summer a summer you as a British person have never seen, and drive into a shade from trees or a building, and a thing like plate capture get problematic.
Low light issues with dashcams, well it dont even have to be night really, but the issue is the same no matter the camera, at least for consumer grade dashcams.

I agree. Dashcams are not large and when you have a closing speed of even 60mph on urban roads number plates can suffer from motion blur. For me, as long as the footage shows 'what happened' then that's job done.

However, the latest firmware on my dashcam that allows 2560 x 1440P @ 60fps video resolution has made a pleasant difference overall but still has motion blur for oncoming vehicles.

Last edited:
Yeah.
There are situations where a plate capture would be nice to have, like a hit and run.
And while hit and run are also on the up in my country, then i still have not met or heard of anyone that have experienced this, so it do not worry me too much.
The way i look at dashcams is i just want it to document all i do with my car, and then i try and stay within the traffic code, then what else happen on or off camera surely can not be my fault.

I am enjoying putting bad drivers on youtube ( once in a while also myself ) but this dont require plate capture, as even if i got it, no one ( including the police ) would care.
people just care if the get fined or loose their license, though judging from comments on some videos some do fear they can experience that from a youtube video.
And of course if i record a really dangerous driver i will also still report it to the police, but i am also 95% sure the police dont do anything about in spite of clear cut video evidence.

So look at your camera this way:
What it do for you and your driving, and this it should log 100% in all weather conditions and time of night.
And your camera will log: your speed - your lane holding - the color of lights you go thru - stop signs you stop at at, so most claims against you you can prove to be lies. the other part probably just have claims from him/ her and other occupants in their car, if these are wrong / lies i assume they could go to jail for insurance fraud - lying to police ASO,,,,,,,,, and you should use your dashcam so that is a option, so in case of a event, dont tell about your dashcam, give the other part a chance to dig their own grave.
What you get beside that,,,,,,,, well it is just icing on the cake, a cake you can eat yourself or share.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L 612GW 12
LancelotStudios 612GW 22
Back