Noticeable banding/macroblocking of image

MFE

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have noticed on my cam quite noticeable banding and macroblocking of the image on smooth gradients such as the sky, something that I'm not seeing in the videos of others under similar conditions. The sky on cloudy days also tends to be quite macro-blocked as well.

Here's a link to the original file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8cfxy31j4a1odhp/Macroblocking.MOV?dl=0

Is this normal? It almost looks like over-compression artifact.

Firmware is SG 20160809.v2. Exposure setting is center weighted, wide dynamic range is turned on. No CPL on this camera.

Are you thinking it's the defogger bands across the rear windshield that is causing problems? I wouldn't think that would be an issue if the bit-rate of the video compression was high enough. The file averages about 27,000 kbps.

I can always try the cam outside of the car and see if the footage has the same issue.

I don't think the demister would cause the issue, was more thinking it's the glass type, the pattern (in the screenshot at least) looks quite uniform, someone posted a link a few weeks ago about the different types of automotive glass and the effect they can have, will see if I can find the link

is there any kind of tint or UV filtering to the glass, either factory or aftermarket?

Firmware is SG 20160809.v2. Exposure setting is center weighted, wide dynamic range is turned on. No CPL on this camera.

Are you thinking it's the defogger bands across the rear windshield that is causing problems? I wouldn't think that would be an issue if the bit-rate of the video compression was high enough. The file averages about 27,000 kbps.

I can always try the cam outside of the car and see if the footage has the same issue.
They will increase the amount of bitrate required quite significantly because as the moving outside image moves passed the stationary lines the encoder has to record several new images instead of just recording that the existing image is moving and what direction it is moving. Also any reflections that don't move with the outside image increase the bitrate usage, one of the reasons why a CPL can give a much better image quality.

They will increase the amount of bitrate required quite significantly because as the moving outside image moves passed the stationary lines the encoder has to record several new images instead of just recording that the existing image is moving and what direction it is moving. Also any reflections that don't move with the outside image increase the bitrate usage, one of the reasons why a CPL can give a much better image quality.

I was wondering if that wasn't an issue. I'll do a couple of tests both with a CPL on the camera, and also I'll do a couple of tests with it outside.

I don't think the demister would cause the issue, was more thinking it's the glass type, the pattern (in the screenshot at least) looks quite uniform, someone posted a link a few weeks ago about the different types of automotive glass and the effect they can have, will see if I can find the link

is there any kind of tint or UV filtering to the glass, either factory or aftermarket?

There's no aftermarket or factory tint on the windows of my car, it's just clear standard glass (or whatever the standard is on a 2007 model Toyota Yaris YRS in Australia). I'll do a couple of tests on Wednesday when it should be sunny with the camera outside the car and see what happens.

I was wondering if that wasn't an issue. I'll do a couple of tests both with a CPL on the camera, and also I'll do a couple of tests with it outside.

There's no aftermarket or factory tint on the windows of my car, it's just clear standard glass (or whatever the standard is on a 2007 model Toyota Yaris YRS in Australia). I'll do a couple of tests on Wednesday when it should be sunny with the camera outside the car and see what happens.

have you got one on the front as well or only on the rear?

Back