Ok to run rear cable along here?

DashCam11

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For a rear camera, is it ok to run the cable along here (as pic)

The side airbag is here, but I believe it’s below? where it actually says “airbag”?

So if it could be tucked above under the join is that ok?

Just would make it a lot easier to do and wouldn’t need a new cable as going along sills is a lot longer route.

Attachments

• IMG_5270.jpeg
    IMG_5270.jpeg
    655.9 KB · Views: 9
Tucking it into any seam/crack is fair game I think. If, the airbag did go off the cable would likely be exposed.. but that would be the least of your problems. :)

That is a route i some times take ( high number of dashcams in the car )
It might not be the best if the curtain airbag deploy, but as Ralph say then you have other things to think off, you will have to be damn unlucky if the deploying airbag break the cable and the end of whip you in the face and take out a eye.
If anything the wire will probably be pushed where ever out of the way, and in the worst case get disconnected probably at the rear camera.

In my small car ( suzuki splash ) going the low route are easy too, and tool less install just tucking wire under what ever i can get to do that with, also 99% of the time i drive there are no one else in the car, so i am not worried uninitiated people trip in wires and mess things up.

As I understand it, those plastic covers, both A and B pillars, have a tight side and a loose side so when the airbag deploys it doesn't ping off and hit you but pseudo hinges.

The wire running inside the very top 'should' be OK.

On the A pillar the airbag is usually actually quite low so will completely miss the top area. Not sure about the B pillar though.

Yeh should have clarified, if the airbag went off, I couldn’t care about the cable, or at least not damaging it, just more of it hurt someone if got snapped etc.

What I do care though is if it shouldn’t be there, or will interfere with the airbag, that’s the worry.

I’d only run it there with the trims removed to ensure it wasn’t crossing the curtain airbags at any point along its length and so I could secure it underneath. If it crosses the curtain airbags and it deploys then it could hinder its deployment or possible worse be forced out into the passenger compartment at an incredible speed which isn’t going to end too well for anyone in its path. Sounds dramatic but don’t play around with yours or your passengers safety.

I’d only run it there with the trims removed to ensure it wasn’t crossing the curtain airbags at any point along its length and so I could secure it underneath. If it crosses the curtain airbags and it deploys then it could hinder its deployment or possible worse be forced out into the passenger compartment at an incredible speed which isn’t going to end too well for anyone in its path. Sounds dramatic but don’t play around with yours or your passengers safety.to see
That’s exactly what I was wondering. So if I could prise off one bit to see? I was hoping there would be some pics or vids online showing it as imagine all are the same.

Looking on YT though it seems a lot do it this way, don’t make it correct I agree, but seems it a known route.

Anyone know where the bags are located or have videos or pics?

You have to at least say what car it is for someone to tell you where the air bags are and how they're deployed.

You have to at least say what car it is for someone to tell you where the air bags are and how they're deployed.
Not necessarily as all side airbags are in the same place. The pic above shows. It’s not directly for me, C5 Aircross

Back