Origina GF8000

Hungry_Horse_1955

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
GS8000, GS6000 A7, Lukas LK-7950WD, Blackbox Panorama X2
I have come across the above camera which appears to be an Ambarella A5S50 version of the old GS8000. There is also a GF8000H with a Novatech 96650 chip. Has anyone had any experience with this?

My current GS8000, which I've had for around 2 years with no problems, no longer records the G-sensor or GPS data so was going to replace it and found this. It appears as if the GF has the same mounting as the GS and the same connections and controls. This will make it a straight swap and I can demote the GS to the rear screen!

Anyone give me any advice on whether to go for the Ambarella or the Novatech version?

Clive

My GS8000 has just fried my microSD card so I have ordered a GF8000. It will be interesting to see what discernable difference there is between the two!

Well, it has arrived! However everything says that it is a BlackView DM980!
ceXrQ7rcTG0QM.jpg
And I have several issues with it which I will have to get back to the seller about.
  1. There is no user manual in the box, just 3 small sheets of paper with Chinese writing on.
  2. The USB/AV Out connection is dodgy, to say the least.
  3. The battery does not charge, probably to do with 2.
  4. When I can get it to talk to the PC, see item 2, it loads a driver 'NOVATEKN vt-DSC' (see here) which appears to be for a 29.47GB flash drive although nothing appears on Explorer!
  5. The pictures appear to be very 'grainy', although I need to get it to record properly before I can pass final judgement on this.
  6. The file numbering system is crazy and each 'session' is given its own folder.
  7. It does not appear to work with the GS8000 GPS mount, although I haven't got it to work properly due to item 3: it creates a corrupted video file as it doesn't shut down properly. There is no GPS listed for the DM980/GF8000.
    ce66svd232_dvr.jpg
I'll see what the seller has to say.

Further to the above, the GS8000 GPS mount does work with the GF8000/DM980 as I managed to get it to record (jammed a folded up receipt between the mount and the USB plug, and turned it off using the on/off button).
Went on the sellers website to find out about returns and discovered I have to create a video showing the problems, so I've set the GS8000 up to record the GF8000 on my desk as I type!
I'm very tempted to go for the Dome G5WA as it is currently available from Amazon.com for $115 (£75) as a Blueskysea G5WA with a GPS (which has the same plug as the GS8000) and Free shipping!

Hmm... That didn't work. My GS8000 shut off after 15minutes and I hadn't realized! I'll have to try again:(.

Back