Original GS1000 compared to new GS1000 revision

kay188

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I bought a GS1000 from DX a year ago, and it's the original version with the iTracker firmware 3.xx.

Recently got back my RMA'ed 2nd GS1000 from DX, and it came with the new iTracher 4.xx firmware.

Since the new revision is almost the same as the old GS1000, it's been said that the sensor is different.
I took it apart and indeed the senor is different along with the memory chips. CPU remains the same of course.
The new sensor is slightly smaller resulting in a (from my personal test) a sharper image, and smaller angle of view.

The lens used is also different now. It looks like a much better lens compared to the cheaper one of the 3.xx GS1000.
The lens has a flat front element, like the lens used in the iTronics and Blackvue, compared to a cheaper curved one.

Here are pictures for those who are interested.

GS1000 3.xx Firmware
i48.tinypic.com_2reinhj.jpg

GS1000 4.xx Firmware
i49.tinypic.com_236se0.jpg

Comparison. Old on top, new on bottom.
i45.tinypic.com_xp8ztl.jpg

Different lens used.
i47.tinypic.com_10r0hzr.jpg

Thanks for sharing the pictures Kay188. Do you prefer the new smaller sensor camera because of the sharper image?

The new smaller sensor may be sharper because of the lens?

I'm not sure because I haven't tried out the new lens on the old GS1000 yet.
When I do, I will post my findings.

Bought a 1.8mm lens off DX to mod into my GS1000.
I didn't have time to cut a bigger hole in the housing for the 2.1mm lens yet, so this 1.8mm lens fits right in the housing without any mods.
There is slight vignetting from the lens being resessed into the housing.

HOWEVER. I tested it and 1.8mm is not far from 2.1mm. It's almost the same so this video footage will be a test to show what modding a PROPER wide angle lens does.

The angle of view is now the exact same as the ITB100-HD and the DR400G-HD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing kay188. The angle of the lens does look quite wide. I'm sure a higher quality lens would improve video performance.

I don't think there is any higher quality lens for this small sensor mount. I believe this is as good as it gets because the sensor also affects video performance. I will post samples from daytime when I can. Night quality as you know is only average.

Back