Parking kit interferance with factory alarm system?

98 SNAKE EATER

Reaction score
Country
United States
Eversince I installed the parking kit on my vehicle, the range of my key fob has been reduced considerably

Today I noticed that I had to be within 10 feet in order to lock or unlock using the remote.

But if I turn the camera(s) off, Im able to use the remote from at least 50ft away (maybe more)

Anyone else run into this issue?

Wireless interference is a somewhat common problem with dashcams, and can have a wide range of effects on everything from radio reception to GPS operation as well as key fobs. Moving the cam(s), cable(s), and/or PS's away from the affected device and it's antenna may help. Chokes and/or shielding on the cables can sometimes help too. All you can do is try different configurations and see what you get :rolleyes:

Phil

Ok, of the 3 cameras I have installed (Mini 0906 and B1W), I've narrowed it down to the rear camera on the Mini 0906 (disconnected it from the main front cam and the range went back to normal).

I'm thinking it started happening after I routed the rear camera cable through the hatch tube grommet (see install photos in this thread)

The other smaller tube grommet doesnt have wires as it's for the rear washer hose, so I might try that one.

Added a couple of clip on ferrite cores on both ends and it helped quite a bit :)

I only had two on hand, but would it be worth it to add more? (I've never used more that two for video cables in the past)

Could try but I doubt more will make much of a difference. Cable or cam relocation would be my next trial effort.

Phil

Wireless interference is a somewhat common problem with dashcams, and can have a wide range of effects on everything from radio reception to GPS operation as well as key fobs. Moving the cam(s), cable(s), and/or PS's away from the affected device and it's antenna may help. Chokes and/or shielding on the cables can sometimes help too. All you can do is try different configurations and see what you get :rolleyes:

Phil

Moving cam(s), cables from the affected device???

Car remote/alarm is affected so THE CAR is affected device.

The correct move will be to throw this garbage in the dumpster.

I have it for a year and half and only use rear camera ( the source of interference) when parking overnight. Most of the time have to reboot it so it starts working again since it freeze for no reason.

They just hooked rear view camera to previous mini dash cam without even properly testing.

Garbage.

Always have a hard time to lock the car with remote after parking with rear camera connected.

You got what you paid for.

Picked up a 20 pack of various ferrite sizes and installed a pair of smaller, tighter fitting cores on the rear camera cable and the range is back to normal :)

where do you get them and any specific size. havent installed my rear one yet.

EBay
I just got a 20 pack of various sizes and used the ones that snapped on the tightest.

Moving cam(s), cables from the affected device??? Car remote/alarm is affected so THE CAR is affected device.

The security system will have a transciever unit, cabling, and an antenna. It is these things which you want to be distanced from. Your dealer can help you with locating where they are.

You got what you paid for.

Rather you didn't get what you didn't pay for ;) The 0906 is an inexpensive cam for decent 2-channel units so you're not going to get the best engineering with it. Still, some expensive cams have similar issues with some installations. Part of the problem lies with the cars not being designed to use common aftermarket accessories, and part is cams and cables which are not well shielded. You can almost always lessen the problem but it takes time and effort.

Phil

The security system will have a transciever unit, cabling, and an antenna. It is these things which you want to be distanced from. Your dealer can help you with locating where they are.

Rather you didn't get what you didn't pay for ;) The 0906 is an inexpensive cam for decent 2-channel units so you're not going to get the best engineering with it. Still, some expensive cams have similar issues with some installations. Part of the problem lies with the cars not being designed to use common aftermarket accessories, and part is cams and cables which are not well shielded. You can almost always lessen the problem but it takes time and effort.

Phil

LOL. Dude, all it takes a piece of shielded cable. Translating to Chinese currency it won't be even close to a US $0.05.

If not molded and if I knew before fishing it under headboard I would replace/solder it myself.

Too much effort now for garbage like this one.

Yes, you are right about even more expensive ones have the same issue.

Made by same "engineers".

LOL

GARBAGE

Shielded cabling does not help with RFI generated past it's ends so it takes more than just that to do it best. It would likely help though. And again you get the same problem from more expensive cams. Even those made by different companies with different engineers and made in different factories. And the car manufacturers take the same approach getting similar results so if it's 'garbage' for cams it's 'garbage' for your car too.

Both the cam and car manufacturers could and should do better, but neither is going to do that until they're required to because of the increased cost involved. As it happens I'm a Ham radio operator and we're pretty anal about our radios filtering out anything but the signal we want to hear. The top-end Ham radios have the world's best engineers and filters involved with cost no object, yet sometimes you still have undesired interference getting in somewhere because you simply can't protect against everything.

As it seems you're not going to try any of the suggested possible fixes but just want to vent, I'm done with this thread.

Phil

Back