parking mode and battery charger

Telmo78

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Hi,

I would like to install a dashcam (front and rear camera)

The ideal would be to have a small switch on/off for the parking mode (so cut the + constant) with that a small box that once configured prevents the battery from draining below 11V for example.

But I was wondering, in case of recharging the battery as the car does not do many km and mainly in town.
I will certainly switch to a CTEK or Bosch C7 type charger (preferring this one because it can maintain a constant voltage for battery replacement)

What influence on the dashcam could the charger do, I risk to burn the camera if I leave it in parking mode without putting the switch on off?

If you have any advice on this type of installation or answers, I am interested ;-)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

The ideal would be to have a small switch on/off for the parking mode (so cut the + constant) with that a small box that once configured prevents the battery from draining below 11V for example.
11V is too low. Your car probably will not start at 11V, and your battery may be damaged if you regularly discharge it to 11V. See https://dashcamtalk.com/battery-discharge-prevention/

Hardwire cables from Thinkware, Viofo, BlackVue, and VicoVation can set the cut-off voltage a bit higher, e.g. 12.2V:

But I was wondering, in case of recharging the battery as the car does not do many km and mainly in town.

I will certainly switch to a CTEK or Bosch C7 type charger (preferring this one because it can maintain a constant voltage for battery replacement)

What influence on the dashcam could the charger do, I risk to burn the camera if I leave it in parking mode without putting the switch on off?
A front+rear dashcam will not draw much current, so unless your starter battery is already bad or the weather is far below freezing, your alternator will probably be able to recharge the battery OK even on short journeys.

As for leaving a dashcam hardwired in while using an external charger for the starter battery, this will depend on the maximum output voltage of your charger and the acceptable input voltage range for your particular hardwire kit. I doubt it will be a problem because the external charger should not raise the voltage much beyond what a strong alternator would.

Thank you for your answer and links!
But battery chargers are rather variable voltages and sometimes, even pulsed.
The fine electronics are more sensitive to under voltages than to higher and smoother voltages like an alternator.

A small filter just before the camera will not hurt =)

Back