Parking mode wiring without UPC

Answer

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Since I'm using my car pretty much every day and when I'm not using it, it's sitting in the garage, I feel that a discharge prevention unit is not required nor wanted (50$).

Here's what I will do to have parking mode enabled. It's real simple, it only take an SPDT on-on switch and a 12v socket adapter (not mandatory, but I don't feel like cutting up the 12v plug off my ITB-100HD).

With an SPDT on-on switch, you have 3 connectors, one common (output) and two inputs. The switch will either connect input 1 with common or input 2 with common. So input 1 will be my accessory power, and input 2 will be constant 12v. The 12v socket gets connected to the switch common output (+) and to ground.

This way, with the switch to the "OFF" position, the dash cam will only get power when the car is running. In position "ON", the camera will always have power, thus parking mode enabled. I will only leave the camera running when I fell like it should be.

Of course, if you forget the switch to the "ON" position for a long time, you still risk draining your battery, but hey, just don't forget it! haha! I will add a LED light just aside the switch that will light up when the camera is powered, so less chances of forgetting the switch on.

All this for about 10-15 bucks.

Sounds like a great idea Answer. If you do this can you share some pictures. I'm sure it can help others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back