Password Protect or Encryption Mobius

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am using my Mobius as a dashcam for the possible insurance to protect myself. How can I password protect the video files automatically after they are made by the camera. I dont want the possibility of a 3rd party removing my sd card and deleting files before I am able to recover them. I tried a couple encryption programs to lock the SD card but the mobius just made a new folder and started recording there instead of behind a password.

Any suggestions? This would make for a very good feature through the mSetup program

I dont want the possibility of a 3rd party removing my sd card and deleting files before I am able to recover them. I tried a couple encryption programs to lock the SD card but the mobius just made a new folder and started recording there instead of behind a password.
Sounds like you need more than just password protection- that won't stop them stealing your Mobius or memory card. I'd imagine it would be quite easy to destroy a memory card by zapping it with some volts too.

Sounds like you need to lock your car or use a vault. ;)

I am using my Mobius as a dashcam for the possible insurance to protect myself. How can I password protect the video files automatically after they are made by the camera. I dont want the possibility of a 3rd party removing my sd card and deleting files before I am able to recover them. I tried a couple encryption programs to lock the SD card but the mobius just made a new folder and started recording there instead of behind a password.

Any suggestions? This would make for a very good feature through the mSetup program
I think a possible solution, could be, note could be, to transfer files via wifi using a eye fi card and a micro to SD adapter. In the future, if security were a problem, developers could make a button that would lock a file then automatically transfer it using your smartphone data connection.
Here is a thread discussing that option
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...or-any-other-microsd-dashcam.3016/#post-46639

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not so concerned with it being physically destroyed, I couldn't stop that, but protecting it digitally or transferring to a smartphone and securing it there might work

I dont want the possibility of a 3rd party removing my sd card and deleting files before I am able to recover them.
If they just 'deleted' the files then it's no problem to restore them. To properly erase them they would have to overwrite the card, and that will take a very long time.
Just copy the files to an encrypted drive and be done with it. It would be easier for a 3rd part to just remove the card and tell you it's been lost. I don't think they would go into all the trouble of deleting the files.

If they just 'deleted' the files then it's no problem to restore them. To properly erase them they would have to overwrite the card, and that will take a very long time.
Just copy the files to an encrypted drive and be done with it. It would be easier for a 3rd part to just remove the card and tell you it's been lost. I don't think they would go into all the trouble of deleting the files.

So I guess the next logical step is to have a wireless data transfer to another storage device or to a cloud storage?

So I guess the next logical step is to have a wireless data transfer to another storage device or to a cloud storage?
Most likely you want the cloud backup done in real-time as well? The bandwidth would cost you a fortune, and what if there's no internet connection? Not possible for a $70 camera, but we can always dream.

Could you use a special cable to stream the audio and video to a DVR that was more secure?

As Isoprop has pointed out, it would be unrealistic to expect these capabilities in a 70 dollar camera and bandwidth presents obstacles. Nevertheless, the technology already exists and it is probably just a matter of time until we see this class of chips in dash cams. It is soon to be introduced by a few manufacturers in very small wearable devices. I have no doubt streaming via Bluetooth and 3G/4G will appear in dash cameras before too long and WiFi, has already been around for awhile. The drawback for now I think is that although the cameras record in 1080P the streamed mobile resolution is pretty low, but still, it is a way to have archived video stored in the Cloud and the claim is that the mobile files are pretty refined for such low rez. This capability has been discussed several times on this forum and people keep asking about this capability, so there is obviously a demand for it. I believe Ambarella has other higher resolution streaming IP cameras in the works that are designed for surveillance purposes so eventually we may see this make its way into dash cams and action cams if we wait long enough.

Here's the little blurb from Engadget about the "Helpouts" wearable camera seen at CES in January that is a collaboration of Google and Ambarella.

"Inside a plastic housing the size of a chunky matchbox, Ambarella's placed a custom chip (an A7LW, if you're curious) that endows the package with the ability to stream 1080p video at 30fps for a minimum of one hour. The housing also comes with a micro-USB port, microphone, 500mAh battery, 8GB of flash storage, WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity, along with power and "connect" buttons up top."

Edit: I'm not sure the reporter at Engadget is exactly correct about "1080P streaming for a minimum of one hour". I think it's more like the device will record at 1080P for one hour while simultaneously streaming to the network at a lower resolution.

googcam.jpg

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Mobius 30
O Mobius 16
Back