PC to camera cable.

EJB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will this cable allow access to the camera menu when it is in a USB connection of a computer?

I have tried a number of cables but they all only allow access to the videos. (Mass storage)
The original cables did allow a PC/Camera connection to the camera menu

The original charger cables are installed in vehicles.

Sorry the FoxOffer link doesn't work......4M Long Charging Cable for VIOFO A119 A119S Car Camera

Will this cable allow access to the camera menu when it is in a USB connection of a computer?
I believe it will not, and no any USB cable will.
it's not supported by a camera.

Reactions: EJB
do you have a USB plug for a mobile device? you can plug your camera into that and it will allow you to access the camera menu. and yes, you can use the same cable that you're plugging into your computer to do this instead of buying a new one.

adapter_views2.jpg

edit: I see that you mentioned that your USB cables are in your car. you can use any mini USB cable with a power source. if you don't have any lying around from previous gadgets, i bet any of your acquaintances will have one for you.

Thanks for your reply.
I don't have any charging devices.
I simply want to buy the cable that is supplied with the camera which did work.
I am in the UK...have purchased, and returned, cables from China and the USA which did not work.....even though the sellers said they would!

Plus I have a few in my spares boxes!!!

Believe it or not we don't use smart phones.
I see I may well have to buy a plug in wall charger?

PS. If so what amperage output do I need?

Last edited:
i think the camera requires less than 1 amp. if you were local I'd set you up. :) i have so many spare USB wall plugs and cables.

On second thoughts I need to connect to a PC and access the menu to update the firmware on one camera!

I find everything to do with computers very simple, why is a specific USB cable so difficult to find?

the actual cable isn't really specific. most USB cables are used both for data and power. it just so happens that the camera acts as an external drive when connected to a computer. if it's hooked up to a USB power source only, it'll go into camera mode and that will allow you to make changes in the menu.

Understood, except the long USB cables supplied with the cameras do allow access to the menu when connected via a USB port on a PC.
IE. They start up as they do in a vehicle, going to 'record' so pressing the 'Rec' button (to stop recording) then the menu button selects the menu!

i see. i guess the long cables carry power only and don't have a data channel. (I've not needed to hook them up to my PC)

Presumably it does so the firmware can be updated?
Out of the box I initially connected to my PC, with the long cable, to go through the menu to adjust settings as required....as per the various You Tube videos.
I do occasionally connect to download video...using the short supplied cable...which only offers 'Mass Storage'.

I have asked a couple of camera/cable sales companies and VIOFO about this problem but received no reply.

Understood, except the long USB cables supplied with the cameras do allow access to the menu when connected via a USB port on a PC.
IE. They start up as they do in a vehicle, going to 'record' so pressing the 'Rec' button (to stop recording) then the menu button selects the menu!
i see. i guess the long cables carry power only and don't have a data channel. (I've not needed to hook them up to my PC)
The Viofo supplied long cable has only +5Vdc power and ground connected. The Viofo supplied short cable has +5Vdc power, ground, +data, and -data. Use the long cable in the car to operate normally and the short cable to connect to a PC to load new firmware or look at the files on the A119 microSD card.

When connected to a PC with the short cable, the A119 and the PC interact to cause the A119 to go into the "Mass Storage" mode, meaning that the PC sees the A119 as a storage device and assigns a new drive, like any USB storage device. Look in Windows 10 file explorer or equivalent, i.e. the PC file structure, to find that new drive. There you will find the files that are on the microSD card of the A119. You can do the same thing by removing the card from the A119 and putting it in a SD card adapter and plugging into the PC's card reader slot.

To my knowledge you can't access the menu on the PC with either cable. But if you use a 2 pin cable (+5Vdc power and ground) with the PC, or the supplied short cable with a USB wall charger or +5Vdc power bank, you can access the menu on the A119 LCD just like in the car with the supplied long cable. In the latter case, you are just using the PC, wall charger, or power bank to provide power to the A119 as you would in the car.

Last edited:
My comment:-
"Out of the box I initially connected to my PC, with the long cable, to go through the menu to adjust settings as required
....as per the various You Tube videos.
I do occasionally connect to download video...using the short supplied cable...which only offers 'Mass Storage'."

Thanks 5...how did I adjust my settings with the long lead at my computer?
To my knowledge you can't access the menu on the PC with either cable
Just to clarify that....access was actually on the camera screen and the camera was powered by the long (supplied) USB cable connected to the PC.

I'm not going to strip the long cable out of the car to confirm but I am tempted to remove it from another vehicle....but not at the moment!:)
At least you seem to have solved my problem by suggesting that the firmware can be installed with the short cable???????????
It's a mystery or my grey cells are depleting faster than I thought:rolleyes::D

If your simply looking to update the firmware, you can copy the .bin file over to the camera while in Masss Storage Mode or place the memory card into a card reader, then into your computer and copy the .bin file over that way. When the .bin file is on the card, bring the camera back to your car and plug it in and let it update there.

Thank you for all the advice I'll update the firmware in due course via the PC and SD card.

Thanks 5...how did I adjust my settings with the long lead at my computer?
The Viofo supplied long cable connected to the PC does not cause the A119 to go into the "Mass Storage" mode since the USB +/- data lines are not connected, so you can access the A119 LCD screen menu as you can do in the car. In this case since there can be no interaction between the PC and the A119 over the data lines, the PC is just supplying +5Vdc power to the A119 through the USB connection.

Point taken...Thank you:)

The Viofo supplied long cable has only +5Vdc power and ground connected. The Viofo supplied short cable has +5Vdc power, ground, +data, and -data. Use the long cable in the car to operate normally and the short cable to connect to a PC to load new firmware or look at the files on the A119 microSD card.

Thanks for the useful information 5Cowbells. So that means all I have to do is get a USB A Male to mini B male cable on eBay to connect the camera in my other car?

Thanks for the useful information 5Cowbells. So that means all I have to do is get a USB A Male to mini B male cable on eBay to connect the camera in my other car?
The Viofo supplied long cable is the only cable I can recommend you use, as it is designed specifically to work with the A119. Some other cables may work, but many folks have experienced power problems on the A119 when using other USB long cables that work OK with other cameras. It is a line loss (cable resistive losses) issue that drops the voltage to the point where the A119 cannot sustain operation and starts to power cycle (turn on and off repeatedly). I think the issue may be related to wire size. If you need an extra cable for a second car try to find an original Viofo long cable. Others here may be able to recommend specific cables that will work or recommend a vendor who can sell you an original long cable. There are also hardwire solutions out there that will work if that is what you want. Check with your local vendor or one here such as @CaptureYourAction or @OCD Tronic to find a good solution.

Back