permanent cable ?

ticomique

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi ! I have a Vivitar Pro Sport DVR785HD. Works fine, but battery only lasts one hour. Could I leave the usb cable permanently connecter to car cigarette lighter withut damaging the battery ? Cannot get answer from Vivitar. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum ticomque.

All dashcams need power all the time when in operation , generally coming on when you turn on the car and so the power source ( often the in dash 12 V socket ) turn on.

What you have is a action camera, granted these often have dashcam functionality ( coming on when power is applied by wire ) but the battery in it will probably die soon, CUZ low temperatures,,,, and high too are not good for LIPO batteries.
Also it appear that the camera is just a 720 P resolution, which all serious brands abandoned over a decade ago, these days 1080p are barely recommended.

If your in dash 12 V power source are on all the time, and it seem some cars have it this way, well then your camera would also be on all the time and that would be bad for camera life, not least in high summer and its heat though it should shut down on too high temperature.

Your product seem to be a very old one, so probably abandoned by vivitar long ago, it is not a brand that see much action in here, in dashcams or our action camera section.

Some dashcams do have batteries for emergency power, but we do recommend people look at cameras with capacitors for that purpose ( and that is just finishing last / current file in case of a big event ) the in camera power source are not really meant for recording in general, this is always provided by wire from the car.

Hi ! I have a Vivitar Pro Sport DVR785HD. Works fine, but battery only lasts one hour. Could I leave the usb cable permanently connecter to car cigarette lighter withut damaging the battery ? Cannot get answer from Vivitar. Thanks.
On some action cameras, you can remove the battery so that you don't need to worry about it, and just run on the USB power.
Leaving it charging its battery for long periods in high heat or below freezing is not recommended, especially if it has become hard to get new batteries, but just doing it a few times is nothing to worry about. Most action cameras will work fine plugged in like this, you wont damage it.

Yo ! Thank you. If I plug it in only when I have to turn the camera on for it to film, chances are the battery would survive.

Welcome to the forum ticomque.

All dashcams need power all the time when in operation , generally coming on when you turn on the car and so the power source ( often the in dash 12 V socket ) turn on.

What you have is a action camera, granted these often have dashcam functionality ( coming on when power is applied by wire ) but the battery in it will probably die soon, CUZ low temperatures,,,, and high too are not good for LIPO batteries.
Also it appear that the camera is just a 720 P resolution, which all serious brands abandoned over a decade ago, these days 1080p are barely recommended.

If your in dash 12 V power source are on all the time, and it seem some cars have it this way, well then your camera would also be on all the time and that would be bad for camera life, not least in high summer and its heat though it should shut down on too high temperature.

Your product seem to be a very old one, so probably abandoned by vivitar long ago, it is not a brand that see much action in here, in dashcams or our action camera section.

Some dashcams do have batteries for emergency power, but we do recommend people look at cameras with capacitors for that purpose ( and that is just finishing last / current file in case of a big event ) the in camera power source are not really meant for recording in general, this is always provided by wire from the car.
This one has to be turned on to function. Battery cannot be removed. I could activate 12V when I turn it on, and bring it in in summer and winter when not in use. Great suggestion. Thank you.

Back