Picture quality behind ceramic tint?

lapisia

Reaction score
Country
Canada
thinking of picking up another itronics 100 for rear camera set up. Anyone got some videos showing the quality of the picture recording behind ceramic tint?

Also thinking of installing airblue 80 tint on the windshield, anyone has experience with itronics recording behind that as well?

much thanks

maybe go to your local tint place and ask for an offcut, stick it to the window in front of the existing cam (I know relocating the cam isn't practical) and see how the results turn out

I have two ITB-100HDs. One in the front, one in the back. Whilst I do not have my windows tinted, this might help.

This is a random 1m sample from the rear one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbSrOpAWA4I.

As a personal experience, the ITB-100HD focuses perfectly, never on the defrost strips (I do know several cameras that really focus anything, even dust, that's on the windshield and/or rear window)

I really do not recommend filming from behind any tint. It will reduce at least 1 full stop of light. That's bad. At night, you will probably not be able to notice anything. We want more light, not less.

On a related note, our colleague Swordfish can probably give you more info. From here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1067

Night videos are not bad, although I have a feeling they could improve a lot when used with untinted windshields. Mine is a 3M BC30 tint, which means it only lets 30 percent of the light through. That's more than one stop of light lost. It's not an issue for day videos but is a limiting factor for night shots

Hope it helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is what you want
this video is of the ITB-100HD on a rear tinted window, the tint is the darkest legal tint for N.S.W. Australia. (video setting 1080p)
The quality is almost as good as the front cam, this was taken on a overcast/sunny day and the window is a little dirty as the tint is freshly done and you are told not to clean for a period for tint to settle.

Back