Placing a cam on a car having cam/laser module behind the inner rear mirror

hpph

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Hello,

I have a question about the ideal place to put a dash-cam on recent cars with cam/laser behind the inner rear mirror.

Without this option the inner rear mirror look like this and there is a lot of space to place a dash-cam :
oquhpa71w3w59ay7an2tl6rndygcxsp4.jpg

But I have this cam/laser option and this look like this :
S0-prise-en-mains-skoda-octavia-4-607262.jpg

It is very difficult to place a dashcam behind the mirror.
If I really put it behind the mirror, it will drop very low on the windshield and obstruct the view.
I have to put it on the left or on the right.

Are there people who have had this problem ? Do you have any advice ?

Other thing : I want a dash-cam with interior cam, and the sun visor could be an issue if I have to put the dash-cam to the left or right of the mirror.
Look at this picture and imagine sun visors are lowered. There are only 4-5 cm left between the sun visor and the white plastic behind the mirror.
skoda-octavia-combi-essai47redimensionner.jpg

I hesitate between several cams, and one of them is the Zenfox T3 :

Zenfox-T3.jpg

Do you think there is enough space between the sun visor (lowered) and the windshield to place this cam ?
The interior cam is placed at the top. Do you think there is enough space between the sun visor and the plastic behind the mirror ?

Do you have any feedback about placing a cam behind a sun visor ?

On this cam (and on many other cams in fact) connectors are placed on the side.
Do we have to take care at this when placing the cam on side of the cam/laser module or there is enough space ?

To finish, a small poll : where did you placed your cam regarding the mirror ? On left, right or behind/below ?

Are there other things to pay attention when we have this cam/laser module ?

Thank you for your feedback and ideas.

A139 will be a better option than the Zenfox, the Zenfox is not a great camera but that aside the thing is huge, A139 would be a much better fit for your vehicle

Have you considered the Viofo A139 3 channel camera? This has a separate interior camera so you can place it in a better position. I have this in my car which also has a camera module built into the mirror like yours.
some pictures here https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-a139-3-channel-camera-test.43518/
Yes, I saw this cam, but I prefer to have a screen.
Actually I have a cam without screen, only WIFI, and I'm really unhappy.
Having to use the smartphone each time I want to check something is very annoying.

In a general way, is Viofo a better brand than Zenfox ? (reliability point of view)

Yes, I saw this cam, but I prefer to have a screen.
Actually I have a cam without screen, only WIFI, and I'm really unhappy.
Having to use the smartphone each time I want to check something is very annoying.

In a general way, is Viofo a better brand than Zenfox ? (reliability point of view)
I agree cameras with screens are a lot easier to interact with, you're not spoiled for choice when it comes to 3 channel cameras though as it's a very limited market

As to Zenfox reliability, suggest you search the threads here on that camera, the feedback isn't great

Yes we that got to test the T3 all had some problems with the camera, and we are all amazed that after that and the thing started selling we have not heard much of it.
The T3 are also a huge camera, when testing it i took my mirror out of the car as otherwise i would have had to mount it very low and very visible on the windscreen, otherwise due to its design it is very hard to fit in and pretty much impossible to do that in front of the mirror ( though in your case with the sensor array offset to one side )

On the other hand the A139 which i am also part of testing, thats just on a whole other level compared to the T3, the interior cam are on a 1 M or so long wire so you can put it anywhere along the top of the windscreen, mine are installed on the mirror stalk ( my mirror are mounted off the roof not windscreen )
My location i find are pretty much ideal, it is as high as it can get, which give the best possible view of the back seat.
The only down side is the interior camera can only adjust up / down but not to the sides, so if you install it offset, like maybe at the Right side A pillar, then you can not aim it to the side towards the driver, which i would like if i put a camera there.

IMG_20210330_140749.jpg

Thank you Kamkar for your reply.
Yes, I saw that the T3 has (at least) an overheat issue.
As I want to use it as a 24/7 parking guard I think I have to avoid this model.
There is not much choice for a 3 channel cameras with screen.

My other choice was the Vantrue N4.
I like the design of the camera, but less the fixing system : lot of wasted space above the cam.
Your review report no specific issue, but I read on other forum some unwanted restarts or recordings that do not take place while the indicator is flashing.

I think I will let fall the rear cam and look at only front/interior cams, there are more choices

Not sure it was heat with mine, but i did have random stops no matter what memory card i used, even ones other testers had no problems with.
And worst of all most times it did not sound a alarm when recording failed.

Yes 3 channel cameras are just a step on the road to the 4 channel systems some people have requested for many years.
The idea of a cabin camera are a valid one if you are a uber driver or something like that, but thats not a option for Danes as all those kind of services are banned here and only licensed taxis must operate like that.
But otherwise i think a interior / cabin cam are of no interest, for me personally at least, i am fine with dual channel as who ever that damage or get into my car will pass by there, though i do also have side cameras for a "full" 360 degree view.

BUT ! i only run parking guard on the front and rear camera, and only for 1 hour after i park as i do not want to put that kind of load on my battery as having parking guard on all the time do.
If you want to run 24/7 you got to drive at least 1 hour every day i think, and then your car battery will still suffer, for sure you do not want to use a low voltage cut off below 12.2 Volts, which are considered a 50% used battery ( lead acid battery )

My 1 hour are fine for all my shopping, and at home i have CCTV on my car from my 2 floor apartment.
i have camera on the front door, and then on my car parked in the pitch black yard behind the house / block.
2chdemo.jpg

Vantrue are not that great i think, you get much better support elsewhere for sure.

Back