plugged 12v straight into camera

mlapaglia

Reaction score
Country
United States
Gifted this to a friend, who chopped off the cigarette lighter and wired it straight to the fuse panel. How forgiving is the camera of getting 12v instead of 5v?

That is a death warrant i am sure.

You can NIX the lighter plug on the 12 V / lighter plug side of the little box on the wire, as inside that is the 12 to 5 V converter / PSU, but if he cut the cable on the 5 V side then i am sure the camera are fried.
SG have this option with the PSU a few feet up the power cord as that allow for hard wiring ( without parking guard support ) if you want to keep your dash socket free for other stuff.

You can sort of do the same with other brands that have the PSY in the plug itself, then you just need to buy a 12 V female socket and wire that into the fuse box and then plug into that under the dashboard, though you better tape the 2 together as they might otherwise wiggle apart down there.

Awesome.. thanks for your response :)

this is what the hardwire kit is for so you dont have to chop anything off.

Luckily the camera is still working somehow. Spending another $30 seems excessive when we used to be able to cut the cigarette lighter off and wire it straight to the fuse panel though.

Luckily the camera is still working somehow. Spending another $30 seems excessive when we used to be able to cut the cigarette lighter off and wire it straight to the fuse panel though.
that was before all the new functions etc.. came into the cameras. i do remember jokiin telling me a while ago he put in protection against people putting 12v through it by mistake i believe.

i think a over voltage / reverse voltage protection would be fairly simple to do.
I am probably pretty naive again thinking that surely people would know to not send 12 V into a USB plug cuz nothing do that unless we are are talking QC charging in phones ASO, and even then it will only step up the voltage if the devise plugged into such a charger request QC operations.
I use a QC 3.0 mains charger myself for testing dashcams on the computer table, but the dashcams do not request QC so the charger only feed the cameras 5 volts, but as i recall the charger can do both 9 and 12 volts too is requested / supported by whatever devise plugged into the charger.

As far as i know all dashcams that are indeed 12 V, they use a barrel plug for power and not a USB plug, in that case it would be fine cutting the plug and wire into the fuse box.
The only 12 V dashcam i ever owned was my first proper 1080p system the Lukas LK-7500, but i think thinkware and blackvue ( other korean brands ) also wildly use 12 V

If the guy just cut the 12 V plug off he should be fine, but if he cut the plug and the box a little up the wire off, then there would be trouble, but i think he cut at the plug and so he are still on the 12 V side of the PSU box.
It would not make sense to cut off the 12 V plug 1 M up the wire, the sight of the square box on the wire should also make alarm bells ring in a DIY persons brain, cuz that is probably there for a reason. In this case it is the 12 - 5 volt transformer.

Last edited:
I’d strongly recommend a hardwire, but definitely don’t go cutting cords willy-nilly. Just a super basic understanding of voltage is really all you need. Go ahead and get the 3-wire parking mode setup and wire it in properly to 12V fuses, one accessory switched and one constant power. Never worry about hacked up socket plug adapters again.

If you have the charger pictured you can cut like shown as it leaves you with a power and ground that can be hardwired, you will not have parking mode functionality on supported cameras if you hardwire this way however.

Attachments

• IMG_20200809_145543.jpg
    IMG_20200809_145543.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 12
Yep in that case just get a female 12 V plug to wire into the fuse box, and then you might want to tape the 2 together as i could imagine them wiggling apart under the dash,,,,, of course depending on how they are installed / tied up down there.

My 12v adapter has the 12V -> 5V conversion happening in the adapter, not a box on the cord, doing that would put 12V into a camera expecting 5v

I ended up getting this $6 adapter https://amzn.to/3Glu2Xd instead of a $30 adapter
That links to the NOCO 12V socket hardwire. But be careful with cheapo USB adapters; they’re often low quality, and not all the dashcams can tolerate their dirty output.

Back