Poor Video Quality - Blackvue 970X Plus

dburnham

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all. I just purchased the Blackvue 970X Plus model. Are my eyes failing me or is the video quality extremely poor. Clarity is nowhere close to video reviews watched prior to making my purchase.

Thanks,
Dennis

Welcome to the club.
Help is on the way @rcg530 @Vortex Radar
In the meantime be prepared to upload the original raw files to a Google drive folder for analysis / warranty claim.
And also checking focus by removing the camera from the car, and filming test footage without the windshield in front of it.
I would contact the retailer now to start the refund / return / warranty process just in case you are coming up on your 30-day return policy or similar.
-Chuck

What are your concerns, exactly?

Looking at the footage, the left side of the frame looks quite a bit softer than the right. That seems to be common with these Blackvues.

Are you running firmware 1.000 or 1.001?

For the nighttime footage, it looks like you could use a bit of cleaning on your lens or windshield to address some of those lens flaring issues for the light sources.

For the nighttime footage, it looks like you could use a bit of cleaning on your lens or windshield to address some of those lens flaring issues for the light sources.
Those issues may be due to cleaning, rather looks like the lens is looking through a layer of wax polish, and it is bad enough that it must be having some effect on the daytime image too.

Those issues may be due to cleaning, rather looks like the lens is looking through a layer of wax polish, and it is bad enough that it must be having some effect on the daytime image too.
I though so too. Gave my windshield a good cleaning with some dawn dish soap. Definitely not due to a dirty windshield.

What are your concerns, exactly?

Looking at the footage, the left side of the frame looks quite a bit softer than the right. That seems to be common with these Blackvues.

Are you running firmware 1.000 or 1.001?

1.000. Attempted a firmware update and says I have the latest

Lol. Of course man. I'm not stupid.
OK, OK. lol
But if you want to get technical you should have checked lens focus before you installed the camera.

I though so too. Gave my windshield a good cleaning with some dawn dish soap. Definitely not due to a dirty windshield.
Something isn't clean, it is a while since I've seen such bad "starburst"!

Can you try the camera outside the car at night, with it pointing at a streetlight, that will tell us if the issue is the windscreen or the camera lens...

Dish soap is a good way to get glass properly clean. If you want to try a bit cleaner than that then lightly spraying it with water+vinegar mixture and wiping it over with some newspaper (paper with some printing ink) is good. I don't think it is going to help much on this issue though!

1.000. Attempted a firmware update and says I have the latest
Firmware 1.0.01 isn't available through the app.
You'd need to manually update it yourself

Download the update;
Extract the contents and copy the Blackvue folder to the SD card and insert into camera.
It will then update the dashcam to 1.001

If you've clear the windshield and it's not help the glare, try cleaning the inside too - many people forget the inside.

Firmware 1.0.01 isn't available through the app.
You'd need to manually update it yourself

Download the update;
Extract the contents and copy the Blackvue folder to the SD card and insert into camera.
It will then update the dashcam to 1.001
The 1.001 is only available for the 2 CH model.

Blackvue support within minutes of viewing my footage has deemed the camera defective.

But thank you. I now have the cleanest windshield in the state of Florida.
Right on.
When you get your replacement, check focus before installing in the car.

Sure. And I'll clean my windshield again too. Btw, I'm not quite why you are under the impression I didn't do any testing before installation. Or that I did a full on installation. Didn't take but 5 mins to peel off the static windshield film and put back in the box and another 10 minutes to drop-off that UPS store. But thank for your words of wisdom. I'll have a buddy hold the camera up while I drive around and test next time. Because as Im sure you know, a camera's focus can be significantly different in a moving car, in different weather conditions vs shooting footage outside of my home. I can show ya test footage if you'd like. I probably also have footage from my ring security cam prooving I cleaned my windshield too.

Back