Power Magic Pro Install help for 4WD

dcmkii

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi guys

Been a long standing member. Need some help with regards to installation on a Toyota Prado (2000).
This is the 3rd vehicle I've installed dashcam on using Power Magic Pro, no issues with prior two sedans.

Red ACC +
Hooked to Fuse 1 - Cigarette lighter, radio and player, clock, air conditioning system, airbag sensor assembly, remote control mirror switch, seat belt
15 AMP

Yellow BATT -
Hooked to Fuse 6 - Emergency flashers, horns
15 AMP
(Have used a multimeter to test this, receives power when ignition is off)

Ground
Hooked to bolt near fuse frame which touches the chasis
(Have used a multimeter to test this when touching RED ACC fuse and ground bolt)

PMP buttons
Set to default 12.5v and 6hr

Problem
- No light on PMP after installation (when PMP switch turned on and ignition not on)
- PMP light turns on once engine is ignited
- When PMP is switched to on and engine is ignited, PMP stays on after ignition is off when no camera is attached
- When PMP is switched on and engine is ignited + camera is attached, PMP turns off after a few seconds when ignition is turned off

I already know that there's an issue with the PMP, it's meant to switch on even if ignition is no (except first time after installing)
My gut feeling it's something to do with voltage not set properly (or PMP buttons). Perhaps because it's a heavy vehicle?

On the manual for heavy vehicles it says 22.8v or 23.2v. Not sure how to interpret these.

Can someone please advise?

Thanks

Attachments

• prado fuse.jpeg
    prado fuse.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
"Heavy" vehicles refer to those "bigger" trucks etc that use a ~24 volt battery system. Your vehicle likely uses a nominal 12 volt system and AWD means nothing to the electrics. I recall some time ago an issue with the manufacturer messing up the color of then leads. Evidently for some time shipped units with the red and yellow leads reversed.

"Heavy" vehicles refer to those "bigger" trucks etc that use a ~24 volt battery system. Your vehicle likely uses a nominal 12 volt system and AWD means nothing to the electrics. I recall some time ago an issue with the manufacturer messing up the color of then leads. Evidently for some time shipped units with the red and yellow leads reversed.
I had a look today again and can confirm that the wire colouring sequence is the same as the attached screenshot.
Yellow, red, black, black and red

I took a multimeter to perform the below troubleshooting steps when PMP was set at 12.5v
When the vehicle was off, Yellow did trigger max on the multimeter which i set to 15amp
When the vehicle was off, Red prompted a tiny reading but no where near 15amp
When vehicle was on, red maxed out

Technically PMP should be able to be switched on when the engine isn't running, however I'm not getting any power coming through.
Power only comes through when engine is turned off, but then PMP turns off after a while when the dashcam is attached.

Attachments

• dashcamstore.jpg
    dashcamstore.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 6
@Ralph2 I got further instructions from my ebay seller to test it.
I realised that on the new PMP I need to flick it to 12.0v for it to work. Default 12.5v wouldn't pick up any constant power.

The reason why my old PMP worked was because the default was 12.0v and the other alternative was 11.8v.
That's why when i plugged the old one in, it worked straight away as it was 12.0v.
Seems like blackvue has changed the voltage on the newer models.

Back