Power Usage

Andy Moore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone have any idea the power usage of the DR650 GW-2CH in Parking Mode or in Normal mode ?

I thought it was around 2 amps/hr ?

STILL havn't got around how to keep parking mode working all night unless I set my power saver to cutoff at 12.2V which I feel is a little low as it will still go lower even when the power to the camera is cutoff. Even if I set the horrendously sensitive movement detector to 0 in parking mode and rely on G Sensor, it still cuts out.

I'm really thinking of mounting a separate battery in the car (Lithium ??) with eg. some form of split charge relay to charge it up when I am driving.

Anyone got a really good setup ?

My car (Holden Cruze) is set to cutout at 11.8v and I've had it installed for over a month now without any issues in terms of starting the car, however going back on the footage I'm getting around 7hrs of recording time before my battery drops below that 11.8v

I have however noticed my blackvue keeps recording 24/7 while in parking mode because it see's my cars security light flashing (red light reflects onto the window)

As a temp fix I've put a small cloth over it to see if I can get longer record times without unnecessary recordings of nothing :)

That's a very low power cutoff at 11.8V - isn't a 12V car battery almost flat at 11.8V ? (12.66V when fully charged)

That's a very low power cutoff at 11.8V - isn't a 12V car battery almost flat at 11.8V ? (12.66V when fully charged)
Pretty sure blackvue make the power magic pro that has preset functions 11.8v cut off or 11.2v I've never had any issues starting the car tho so I'm not to fussed it must be fine

The low voltage devices work as intended but when put on a car often the " physical set up" leaves the system in its entirety flawed...

I can measure 12.4v on my battery posts and go to my 12v socket in the car and get a reading of 12.2v simply because of resistance in the wiring thus any voltage control device coupled to the 12v socket is compromised in function the moment I use it as a supply.

Most know my 2 cameras have run nearly 24/7 for over 9 months now with no low voltage cut off and I have never had starting problems despite a 7 year old 70 AH battery ... ( cameras 6000+ hours )

@petepete I'm not using a 12v socket I'm connected via a inline fuse connected to the cars wiring so I'm unsure if your theory is still correct here.. either way I've had it hooked up for more then a month an no issues with any starting

not a theory....

resistance plays havoc with car electrical systems ..

You should always test the voltage of the circuit you are coupling to...

You wont get trouble starting, but you might get trouble with the low voltage cut off tripping the cameras off for the reason above and that seems to be the biggest complaint when a low voltage cut off is used...

Ok, thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to drop my voltage cutoff to 12.2V & see how I get on !

ive used my t power plus with my blackvues to cut off at a 11.8 and it hasnt been an issue, but my car is pretty new and its also a pretty new battery.

i think if people are worried about their cars not being able to start i would get a portable battery "jump" starter like the allpower battery pack.

I've just discovered the DR 650 uses a maximum of about 1/2amp/hr (hope this is correct). What size 12v battery would you buy if you wanted to connect it to a separate batteryu rather than your car battery to give you a decent amount of time in Parking Mode ?

I realise I would need some way of topping up this battery (split-charge relay from the main car battery ??)

My User Manual for the DR650GW-2CH says Max 4.8W. So for a nominal voltage of 12V this equals 0.4A.

Thanks for that, thought I was close to the mark at 1/2 amp

Sorry for re-erecting an old thread but can I power a Thinkware Q800 Pro from a usb out from the head unit
I have two USB one for Apple Car Play and the other Android I guess ether one offers the same output

Last edited:
Sorry for re-erecting an old thread but can I power a Thinkware Q800 Pro from a usb out from the head unit
I have two USB one for Apple Car Play and the other Android I guess ether one offers the same output
it's a 12V camera, USB is 5V

Back