Powering my new mini 0803 dvr?

SteveJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Pro Duo.
Hi there, noob question here so please be gentle.
Do I have to use the power cord that came with my new mini 0803, or can I use a standard usbA to micro usb extension lead in a 12v socket usb adaptor?
The reason I ask is that I'd like to take the power from the 12v socket in the boot of my mk7 Golf, and I don't want to have to use an extension with the original cable as it won't go all the way to the back of the car, and that would also leave me with a "large" lump to hide somewhere.

Hi friend, yes you can, if the receiving stream is higher than the camera needs no problem.
the problem is when it is less.

It is also important that the power converter is of quality.

How to check if quality?
Very easy, put your phone to load, if it gets crazy is poor, if load is normally is good quality.

Regards..

Be aware that the luggage compartment socket may always be live and may drain the car battery.

Thanks for the heads-up David, that's one of the things I did check, and it's only live when the ignition is on.

Probably also worth checking the voltage at the camera when running, cheaper manufacturers use thinner wires in their cables, thinner wires have a greater volt-drop over longer lengths.

Out of interest, does anyone know the max electrical load of the 0803?

Looking at the product you've linked above, I just realised i've got similar, but with 2 outlets at 2A in my car, it's made by grifin, and came from amazon.

It seems like you are looking to just hide the power adapter so it isn't in the cabin.

Have you taken a look at hardwiring the Mini 0803?

Kelvin

Yes, I had thought of a permanent fixture, but that would involve quite a bit of clambering in footwells and removal of panels etc. Unfortunately I suffer with quite bad arthritis, which limits my mobility, so for me this is likely to be the easiest and most "hassle free" method.
It will also make it a little easier to remove everything if I decide to change vehicle in the near future.

Steve

If that is the case, then powering it through the luggage compartment socket will be the best then.

Kelvin

Back