Powering WiFi module…

TeddyRuxpin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’m running a Thinkware U1000 dual cam set up alongside the Thinkware iVolt BAB-50 battery pack (hardwired).

I also have a 4G WiFi module that has a small battery that provides about 8 hours of power/WiFi. I’d like to extend this.

Can anybody think of a relatively economical way to extend the battery life of the WiFi module? Unfortunately the Thinkware doesn’t have a USB outlet like the BlackVue (it’s also about half the price).

I have thought about cheap USB battery banks but as we know, it’s not super safe in very cold/hot conditions - having said that the WiFi module already has a cheap lithium battery in it. The power banks also don’t usually automatically power the USB ports and most require clicking a button to get the thing to turn on, so it wouldn’t work automatically when you power the car off.

Any suggestions? Selling my Thinkware BAB-50 and getting the Blackvue seems like I’d take a huge loss….

Thanks,

Ed

I really need some more details to answer your question.

• Are you referring to a WIFI hotspot when you say wifi module?
  • What’s the voltage of the lithium battery? What voltage does the wifi module accept? Is there a power plug on the wifi module or can you only power it via the battery?
  • How does the lithium battery connect to the wifi module?
  • How long are you wanting the wifi module to last on battery power?
I installed a LiFePO4 battery in my car to power my dash cam every other week when I don’t drive my car as much. I originally had my hardwired into the starter battery, but it would hit the voltage cutoff on Monday and power down my dash cam until I drove the car around a bit. I’ve seen other people post that they use AGM batteries.

Installing a LiFePO4 battery is economical in the sense that it was a lot cheaper than buying Cellink Neo battery packs for the same capacity. However, it was a pretty decent cash outlay, so I wouldn’t rate it economical in up front costs.

For the cheapest up front solution you could:
  • install a Lifepo4 battery
  • find a place and a way to mount it in your car
  • run wires from it to your wifi module
  • buy some type of voltage converter if needed
  • attach the wires from the voltage converter/battery to your wifi module
  • wire up some type of relay to an accessory fuse to turn it on when you powered the car off
You would need to buy a charger and potentially a second battery to rotate to keep coverage while one is charging.

I installed a DC/DC charger in my car, but this increased the complexity and costs quite a bit due to the size of cabling I had to use to minimize voltage drop from my starter battery to the charger.

If you don’t mind swapping batteries out periodically, then it’s cheaper to swap the discharged one for a fresh one and take the discharged one into your house to charge.

Depending on how long you need to power your wifi module, then something line the Cellink Neo might work and be the simplest option even if it’s not the cheapest per Wh.

Hi all, thanks for your replies.

Sorry if I wasn't clear - this is my WiFi module: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B089ZFZK5L

It has a 2000mAh battery and is in my glove box, charging off a 12v lighter/USB adaptor while the car is running. When the car isn't running, it uses it's battery until it's depleted. I want to use the WiFi module while the car is powered off, because I want it for parking mode/monitoring/alerts.

@thomas-dash - thanks, I'll look into LiFePO4 batteries - I've never heard of them before.
@mbc0 - sorry, I'm not exactly sure this would help? How does this power your USB WiFI module while the car is off?

I guess I'm just looking for either a suitable battery supply pack, or perhaps a power splitter cable/device which would give me USB power from my BAB-50. Or any other novel solutions....

How are you all powering your WiFi?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I suppose using this is one method, simply charging it via the glove box 12v socket and using it just for the USB (plugging the WiFi module into the USB), and keeping the BAB-50 in the boot for the Thinkware dash cam power: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B01GX2VST0

Quite expensive for just 3000mAh though...

Hi all, thanks for your replies.

Sorry if I wasn't clear - this is my WiFi module: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B089ZFZK5L

It has a 2000mAh battery and is in my glove box, charging off a 12v lighter/USB adaptor while the car is running. When the car isn't running, it uses it's battery until it's depleted. I want to use the WiFi module while the car is powered off, because I want it for parking mode/monitoring/alerts.

@thomas-dash - thanks, I'll look into LiFePO4 batteries - I've never heard of them before.
@mbc0 - sorry, I'm not exactly sure this would help? How does this power your USB WiFI module while the car is off?

I guess I'm just looking for either a suitable battery supply pack, or perhaps a power splitter cable/device which would give me USB power from my BAB-50. Or any other novel solutions....

How are you all powering your WiFi?

Thanks!
Does this WiFi module power on automatically? I see it has a power button

I don’t think it does. Once the internal battery dies and you turn the ignition and it begins to charge, you do have to turn it on manually, which is frustrating. I might email the manufacturer to see if there’s a setting to fix that, but I doubt it. It’s a relatively basic unit, but the signal and speed has been pretty good so far.

Last edited:
To power the WiFi module, you might consider using a set of wires from Viofo. This kit has a power cut setting when the battery reaches low voltage. You simply connect power to the line, where there is a constant voltage of 12 volts and adjust the cutoff voltage.
There are different kits - with mini-usb and with type-c.

Back