PowerMagic turns off when Engine turns off

SteelFK1

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi,

I had 12.5V set on the guard and wondered why the thing always goes off as soon as the car is locked > car battery has 12.18V.

I have now set the guard to 12.0V, the thing still does not turn on, the car itself has been standing for 7-8 hours, which is why the 12.18V are already correct (I think).

Is the PowerMagic the 12.18v too low that this does not start despite set 12.0v? or do I have another problem?
When the engine is running, the green light comes on.

While we're on the subject, can the battery be recharged reasonably well or do I need a new one?
Assuming the battery would still have 12.5V, in what period of time approximately would this drop to 12.0 if the monitor takes 12 hours of external power daily?

Sorry for my Bad English

Guessing your wiring is at fault. The PMP needs two sources of power, one from an always on source and one source that is powered only when the vehicle is running. On some newer vehicles it is difficult to find an always on source.

Is the PowerMagic the 12.18v too low that this does not start despite set 12.0v? or do I have another problem?
When the engine is running, the green light comes on.
You're going to have a bit of a voltage drop inside the PMP. The circuit that's measuring what it thinks is your battery voltage is likely going to see less than what you'll see measuring at the battery with a voltmeter. I'd expect easily a half-Volt difference, maybe more. Try setting the PMP to something like 11.5V, see if that works, then work upwards until you get a decent lifetime.

Do you have electric locks? Those draw a fair amount of current, which will cause a momentary dip in the battery voltage. You likely won't measure it on a regular voltmeter, but the PMP might see it and trip the shutdown. I had that problem myself early on. If you get the same problem even with the PMP set to ll.5V, that indicates you may be due for a new battery.

Likely PMP issue, unfortunately, but do check you've connected to an ACC and constant fuse that are rated between 5A-30A.

Voltage loss shouldn't be that significant and the current PMPs (assuming this is the case) won't have lower than 12V cutoff options.

Back