Privacy glass

Cardigan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My car (Q5) has 'privacy glass' (not something I chose it just came with the model). I'd like to have a rear view cam but I wonder whether it would work / see through this tinted glass. Has anyone done one with this glass; how good / bad is it?

night use would be more of an issue than day, you could probably up the brightness a bit to improve (not fix) things

My back windows are factory tinted and the term Privacy glass was used in the sticker.
I use a DVR-027 as my rear camera and it is not bad at all during the day time. Maybe play with the EV setting + just a little, but it is still very usable. I have a video of someone in a hurry that was tail gating and swerving behind me in traffic and it is not to dark or anything.

Hi,

I have got a Volkswagen (same enterprise like Audi) and also tinted glasses in the rear and sides. This is not an obstacle for a rear cam, the quality depends more to the cam specs than the tinted class.
Currently I use a F70/i1000 like cam with external rear cam mounted in the trunk.

Regards

The best is to have a camera which have EV settings.

enjoy,
Mtz

FSC830 said:
Hi,

I have got a Volkswagen (same enterprise like Audi) and also tinted glasses in the rear and sides. This is not an obstacle for a rear cam, the quality depends more to the cam specs than the tinted class.
Currently I use a F70/i1000 like cam with external rear cam mounted in the trunk.

Regards

if the rear cam is external then it's not affected by privacy glass anyway :?

jokiin said:
FSC830 said:
Hi,

Regards

He's talking about a dual-camera recorder with an external rear camera attached with a wire.

Mikk36 said:
jokiin said:
FSC830 said:
Hi,

Regards

He's talking about a dual-camera recorder with an external rear camera attached with a wire.

Yes I understand that, does external not mean outside?

Swordfish said:
jokiin said:
Yes I understand that, does external not mean outside?
External here means outside the DVR, not outside the car.

yeah I can't say I was really clear on what he meant, the cam he has I've seen supplied with either internal or external rear cams depending on supplier

Back