Problem opening .MOV file

splinternet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - I've had my 312GW for a few years. The microSD card I've used throughout is a SanDisk Ultra PLUS 32GB V10. The individual .MOV files have always played back OK by inserting the card into my laptop and launching Windows Media Player. However, today's recorded files are causing an error with WMP (error code 0xC00D36E5). All previous recordings on the card (up to and including yesterday) play back with no problem. I really want today's footage so what can I try, please? I'm happy to send an example file to Nextbase support.

Hello - I've had my 312GW for a few years. The microSD card I've used throughout is a SanDisk Ultra PLUS 32GB V10. The individual .MOV files have always played back OK by inserting the card into my laptop and launching Windows Media Player. However, today's recorded files are causing an error with WMP (error code 0xC00D36E5). All previous recordings on the card (up to and including yesterday) play back with no problem. I really want today's footage so what can I try, please? I'm happy to send an example file to Nextbase support.
You haven't installed any other apps on your laptop or messed around with the configuration of windows media player lately? I'm guessing you haven't.

You can try other video players such as Kodi or VLC to see if they playback any of the files, otherwise it sounds like it's an issue with either the microSD memory card or the dash cam itself.

If you've had the memory card a while, my money's on the memory card being the culprit here.

You could perform a Windows scan on the card for broken sectors, etc. Or try one of the dedicated tools like h2testw

If you'd said just the last file then that's a battery problem but all files is a worry

Nextbase have never recommended SanDisk but that's another thread

Is it just the very last file you're having problems with?... or all files from yesterday?

If just the last file then I suspect the camera is at fault for not saving it properly.

If all files from yesterday then I'd lean towards the SD card being the problem, which wouldn't be surprising given it's a small card and has likely been overwritten numerous times. SD cards have a finite life based on the number of erase/write cycles and do wear out with use.

There were four footage files recorded this morning (it was a very short journey) at timestamps 065047, 065559, 074905 and 075350. The first three all exhibit the same error condition in WMP, however the fourth plays OK. I've tried Movavi and as with WMP, it cannot load the first three, but the fourth is OK. I've run h2testw against the SD card and it comes back clean

They do sound corrupt

My next 2 ploys would be, try to convert them to another format, say .MP4

VLC can convert many formats but first try and play them in VLC

I recently converted a set of large .VOB video files in VLC to .MP4 and it was very quick. You will need to look up how as I've forgotten where the convert option is and I'm currently on a Android tablet so not able to check in Windows

...The first three all exhibit the same error condition in WMP, however the fourth plays OK. I've tried Movavi and as with WMP, it cannot load the first three, but the fourth is OK. I've run h2testw against the SD card and it comes back clean
That is an unusual set of symptoms - but I'm still leaning towards it being a card problem given the size and age. You could try and do a low level format using the program from sdcard.org to see if that helps. Otherwise my next course of action would be a new card.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm afraid I'm no further forward so will have to give up on it.

@Kremmen - you wrote "Nextbase have never recommended SanDisk but that's another thread". I've seen Nextbase recommend (so it's not a pre-requisite) their own brand of Micro SD card (at a hiked price) so should I get one?

As you say, the NB cards are very expensive so that decision has to be yours

For the cost of a decent size NB card you're often getting near to the cost of another brand dashcam

Well it has been a while but my mov2gps with the -debug switch might throw some light.
See https://github.com/clarified/mov2gps.git

I have used ordinary reasonable quality sd cards on my 312GW without problems or reformatting.
But then I read them on a proper operating system (linux). I see that I am using a Sandisk "Ultra" 64GB just now.

I had to look up "WMP": you don't say what the error message might be. I would move to open source programs so that you can trust the results.

Back