kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
Just noticed today there is a horrible crackle on the external MIC

Doesn’t sound nice!

Dies sort of sound like a real noise, so I would check the mounting and anything very close for rattles first.

Is this the genuine VIOFO microphone?

yep viofo stamped all over it.
I have not touched it lately, and there are not much slack in the MIC end or the camera end, but i will try and wiggle at least the jack end tomorrow before my drive to my mothers place.
In this recording towards the end there is also me pouring direct from the "tin" some tic tacs into my mouth, but that is also another kind of 5rattle you can distinguish if you like me are a tic tac addict.
will snap a couple of pics of the install too.

Electret mics are sensitive to air pressure, so if the windows are closed tightly a rough patch of road could cause such as this- equally could be caused by a window fully open with gusting wind entering. Test with a window barely open, that should mitigate any air pressure changes. But more likely something is loose or rattling.

Phil

windows are always a bit open these days, no aircon in my car.

I am setting off on my drive very soon.

Okay i think the issue have been resolved, the interior camera plug was sort of touching its plug in the camera after i unplugged, i cleared it before i snapped these pictures.
IMG_20210704_135035.jpg
IMG_20210704_135043.jpg

Mind you i have a video from when i set off yesterday where i jiggle the wire at the MIC end and the plug at the camera end, and there are still a little scratching when i do the MIC end.
But when driving as in the video above, then it is gone.

Video to follow later on.

Okay somewhat delayed after a fruitless battle with my bed and sleep demons.
You can hear a little scratchy as i jiggle the wire at the mic end, by gently flicking the exposed wire under my sunshade it with a finger, but it is not something that seem to translate to the following drive footage.
So my conclusion is that the culprit was probably the disconnected interior camera plug that touched on the female plug on the camera, now there is no chance of that sound are much better.

Why is the microphone end rattling?
It appears to have a nice clip, but if the wire can rattle in the clip, maybe it needs a blob of glue, or some 3M tape to prevent the rattle?

Sounds reasonable on the drive, your car has a slight echo though, not the perfect recording studio!

I am not sure if this is something new, it have been a month or two since i put the MIC in.
And i cant say that in my install there is a unreasonable amount of wire slack that could yank in the microphone.

I am wondering if any of my SJ action cameras have a MIC in the viofo MIC will work on, just to test it on something else.

I am wondering if any of my SJ action cameras have a MIC in the viofo MIC will work on, just to test it on something else.
Possibly, although most action cameras that take a microphone have a GoPro plug (mini USB) for connecting the microphone. If you have one with a jack plug then it will be compatible.

Back