Problem with Mobius

ubuuntu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a bit of a problem with my Mobius cam.

I am using it as a dash cam and it worked for a while. However, things have gone awry over the past few weeks.

The problem is that the cam doesn't record reliably. Most of the files on the card are 1 second long, there are a few 14 second long files and very, very rarely do I get full 3min video. Much of the time camera doesn't record at all.

I've noticed that instead of flashing yellow on the back of the cam, I'm seeing alternating flashes of yellow in the back and blue at the face of the camera. Couldn't find any explanation what this may mean.

My settings file is below. I've updated the firmware and tried several config tweaks without any luck. Any help appreciated.

Code:
Date time=[2013/12/19-14:31:16];date time setting,format yyyy/mm/dd hh:mm:ss

Video Mode 1 resolution=[0];Movie resolution setting,0:1080p(Large AOV),1:1080p(Small AOV),2:720p(Large AOV),3:720p(Small AOV)
Video Mode 1 Frame Rate=[2];Movie frame rate setting,1:60fps (only for 720p small AOV), 2:30fps
Video Mode 2 resolution=[2];Movie resolution setting,0:1080p(Large AOV),1:1080p(Small AOV),2:720p(Large AOV),3:720p(Small AOV)
Video Mode 2 Frame Rate=[2];Movie frame rate setting,1:60fps (only for 720p small AOV), 2:30fps

Photo Mode Capture Size=[1];set photo size,0:2304x1536,1:1920x1080,2:1280x720
Set Time Lapse Shooting=[0],0:off,1:0.25s,2:0.5s,3:1s,4:2s,5:5s,6:10s,7:30s,8:60s
Photo Flip=[1];set Photo rotate,0:off,1:flip on

Movie cycle time=[0];movie cycle time,0:3 minutes,1:5 minutes,2:10 minutes,3:15 minutes,4:max to 4G byte,
Movie Loop Recording=[1];set loop recording on or off,0:off,1:on,
Time stamp=[1];set date/time stamp on or off,0:off,1:on,
Movie sound=[0];set movie sound,0:mute,1:on,
Movie Flip=[3];set movie rotate,0:both off,1:mode 1 on and mode 2 off,2:mode 1 off and mode 2 on,3:both on,
Movie quality=[0];set movie quality,set movie data rate,0:Super,1:Standard,2:Low,
Movie high dynamic range=[1];set movie high dynamic range,0:off,1:on,

Power on=[1];set system  power on time,0:delay,1:fast
Power off=[0];set system auto power off time when system pending,0:off,1:30 seconds,2:1 minutes,3:2 minutes,
Auto Record with External Power=[1];set connect with power to start video recording automatically,0:off,1:on,
One Power Button to Auto Record=[1];set press power key to start video recording automatically,0:off,1:on,
Auto Off with External Power disconnected=[1],0:Immediately,1:delay 10s;2:record to low battery power off,
LED=[1];set LED flicker when recording,0:off,1:on,
Charge from USB Host=[1]; when connecting with USB host, charge camera or not,0:on,1:off
Lens option =[0];select lens,0:lens A,1:lens B
Light frequency =[0];set light source frequency,0:50 HZ,1:60 HZ

TV out=[1];set Tv out,0:NTSC,1:PAL,
TV Display Ratio=[1];set display ratio,0:4*3,1:16*9

{TLCAM MOV:TLCAM Mobius ActionCam 2013/11/22 v0.59}
{LDTLCAM,v003}

Which type / brand / class MicroSD card do you use?

Alternate flashing of yellow and blue doesn't sound good to me :oops:
But you say you see yellow at the back. The rear LED should be red not yellow :confused:. Or perhaps they soldered in the wrong color LED.

Anyway, in addition to what niko has posted, have you in-camera formatted your card or used sdformatter?

Hey, thanks for replying.

First corrections to my original post:
  • Actually flashing sequence is slightly different than originally described.
    • Rear / orange LED flashes quickly twice
    • After about a second, body LED lights up blue for about a second
    • After a short pause, body LED flashes orange quickly
    • Rear led flashes extremely short orange
    • There is a pause of about a second and the sequence restarts
  • Rear LED colour is perhaps most accurately described as orange, you could argue it's red or yellow.
Now on to answer your questions:

Which type / brand / class MicroSD card do you use?

Good point - this may well be the issue with the card. I've bought a two card bundle - sandisk 2 x 16Gb Class 10 cards, also have that U symbol. That all seems ok, but in fact I think the problem may have started to occur when I've swapped the cards. I'll try this and report back the results.

Anyway, in addition to what niko has posted, have you in-camera formatted your card or used sdformatter?

In camera, both times.

Anyway, thanks for ideas, I now have a few things to try.

I had problem with SanDisk 32GB Class 10 card. Switched back to Class 4 card and it is working without a problem.

Yeah power supply is often overlooked. Need 1A minimum.

Power supply or the mini-USB connector is not ok and it is interrupting a lot of times.

I had problem with SanDisk 32GB Class 10 card. Switched back to Class 4 card and it is working without a problem.
I've got all three of mine running Sandisk Ultra UHS1 - Class 10 64Gb or 32Gb cards. I've never had a problem. They're all running at the highest bit rates too.

Last edited:
Wow. I really appreciate how well everyone communicates with a desire to help. This is such a great board.

Ubuuntu, how did you solved in details? I'm having the same intermittent issue. The cam is currently powered through a cigarette charger and micro usb cable from Eletoponline; between the two, a 2,5 mt usb cable extension. Firmware 1.17.

@Francesco I'm guessing that he swapped the USB cable with a known good cable at first. So try that if you have another cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great tip, Grimm: I've replaced the extension some days ago. The new cable is thicker and shielded. No more reboots so far.

Good to hear that its working well for you now.

Thicker, shielded, is always better. Ferrite beads on the ends help too but I never had any luck with add-on ones.

Back