Problems after hardwiring dash cam that weren't there before.

Mio NoVue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So i have a Mio Mivue 618. The car audio supplier who supplied and fitted it to my last car hard wired it in such a way that it made use of its own power supply cable (12v male) and he hard wired a 12v female socket in to my car radio setup. The result was that it would always turn on with the ignition and it never didn't record but some times when recording, instead of recording in 3min clips as per the setting, it would do anything. Mostly it would do 3min clips but some times they could be 1second, 5 seconds, 12 seconds. If you pulled all the files and put in to video editing software then it'd all run smoothly but it was a bit choppy in file manager.

I replaced the car and had to use the 12v male cable that came with the camera. Absolutely NO PROBLEM whatsoever. It recorded in 3min clips each and every time and never missed a recording. I assumed the issue with my last car was something with that cars electrics.

I then hardwired the dash cam using an eBay special which you can see from clicking this link. I piggy backed in to the 12v socket fuse.

First couple days - no problem. Third day i start the car and the screen is all white. I have to pull the power cable from the top of the camera, let the camera die and then re-insert. It starts to record. My first thought was it was frosty that morning, yet it had been much much colder in my previous car and it never didn't record.
After this there was an issue where it didn't turn on one time.

for the most part it would actually work, it would just have random hissy fits like i mentioned. Then the other day when i am driving home, the screen keeps flashing up "Start recording". This was unusual as this message only ever came on upon immediate startup of the car but now it was doing mid-journey. When plugging the SD card in to my PC i can see it looks like it's losing connection, regaining connection, losing it again as many of the video files are chopped in to bits.

Also when looking at this i noticed one morning it didn't record my entire 30 minute journey to work. The thing is, i don't remember the camera looking any different that morning. It MAY have done and it MAY have been blank but i usually look at it at least once on every journey and i don't remember anything standing out as oh maybe the camera isn't recording right now - because i would've pulled over and had a play with it to see if i could fire it up.

Any idea what's going on with this and why it's only playing ball when it feels like it, unlike when i was using the official power cable? I don't particularly want to use the official one up because 1) it's messy having wires on show and 2) it ties up the 12v socket.

Generic hard wire kits like that can often be problem makers.

Erratic recording performance / failure to start recording are often a result of a too weak power supply or use of a poor quality USB cable for power ( the letter was the reason i did not get a recording from my rear camera years ago when i got rear ended )

I've only used one hardwire kit, an official viofo one I recently picked up a no name hardwire kit online for $2 USD. Not high expectations, but i notice no variable cut off voltage.

I don't think Mio do an official hard wire kit.

Is there a brand online or a link that is suitable for this?

I'm based in the UK.

Back