Problems with action camera playback

nopeda

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently used an action camera for the first time and can't get the playback to be smooth. The recording settings were 720P60FPS and the card is a Samsung 32 EVO Plus with a 1 inside a U which is class 10, right?

I've tried a couple of computers to playback. With drone videos in the past I've had good results using VLC media player but with this it's terrible. On my laptop VLC is useless, just frozen up. Using Windows media player it works but the video keeps freezing for an instant every second and the audio moves on so in short time the audio is way ahead of the video and of course the freezing sux.

The best results have been with my home computer using QuickTime Player. The video and audio seem to remain synced up but there is still that brief freeze every time the counter clicks off the next second. Is there any way to get it to all smooth out, or is it too late for that for whatever reason(s)? Whether or not, can anyone explain how to prevent it from happening in the future?

Thank you for any help!!!
David

Are you using the camera in mass storage mode playing the files from the camera ?
If so you might want to copy the files to the computer and then play them from there.

You may need to update the codecs, K-lite is a good codec pack that may help
I have the videos downloaded to the computer's hard drive. They are in mp4 format. Other mp4 videos I've got work nice and smoothly using VLC media player so I tried it with the ones that are giving trouble. Using that player they play smoothly with no freezing and the audio and video stay synced up. The video also seems to move along in a more realistic way. Using QuickTime and others it seemed to go more slowly as some people have suggested. Using VLC on my home computer everything seems to be smooth and great except that there are horizontal yellow lines in the right side of the playback. There are a couple of blue lines also but most of the lines are yellow. Is there a way to tweak those lines out?

Also what is a codec pack? If I install it will it help with all the media players installed on the computer by default, or does it have to be assigned to each one individually?

Thank you people for your help!!!

the codec is what decodes the digital data, there are many different types with varying levels of performance, MP4 is just a container and the format of the recording is not always the same so some players will do better than others

K-Lite codec pack contains just about every playback option you would need, it also contains MPC (media player classic) which is a very lightweight player and will often do a lot better than other players when working with limited resources, worth a try

Back