Problems with Finalcut Pro, Viofo A139, and Blueskysea B4K

Vortex Radar

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I've been having some issues lately playing back video files from certain dashcams. I'm able to play the files back in VLC, but when I load them into Finalcut Pro, I run into a number of issues.

With the Viofo A139, I can play back h.265 files just fine, but I can't edit h.264 files. Most of the video is blacked out and about every second or so, I get one or two frames of video. The audio is fine, but most of the video is unusable. I'm having issues converting the file format in VLC to make them usable in FCP.

Additionally the .TS files from the Blueskysea B4K do not import at all into FCP. Again I can play them in VLC, but I can't load them into FCP while working on my review of the dashcams.

Any ideas on how to work around these issues so I can properly review the dashcams?

Just to follow up on this after getting some help from others.

It looks like there's an issue with the A139's file format when recording with H.264 and when playing back on Intel Macs. Videos will play fine in VLC, but they'll be broken in Quicktime and Final Cut Pro. On M1 Macs they seem to work fine. @VIOFO-Support

I've found a solution to make the video clips usable by using ffmpeg. It's a bit of a manual solution, but you can open up a terminal and use "ffmpeg -i originalvideo.mp4 convertedvideo.mp4" and it'll go ahead and reencode the video which I can then use in Final Cut.

I wouldn't wanna use reencoded videos when pixel peeping and looking at details like license plate zoom-ins, but it's otherwise helpful to salvage the clips and be able to incorporate them in my review videos for times when something interesting happened on the road.

As for the B4K, FCP doesn't work with .TS files which is a bummer. I can convert to .mp4, but that's a tedious manual process I'd have to do for every single clip, plus again you've got some quality loss with the conversion.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ipol Off Topic 22
D Off Topic 2
Back