Question About Old Dashcam Hardwire Installation

800lb Gorilla

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had an car audio shop install a hardwire micro-usb cable for a dashcam I used to use in my car about 6 or 7 years ago. I stopped using the dashcam after a windshield replacement but the cable remains installed. I'm curious if it's possible to install a newer USB-C powered dashcam using a micro-usb to usb-c adapter with the cable I already have coming out of my headliner. Is there any advice on what I can look for to see if it would work? I have no idea how much power the cable can output.

Installing a micro-usb cable likely involved also installing a 12v to 5v converter. It is probably a little cube (about 2" x 2" x 2") with two wires coming out: micro-usb on one side and a 12v input "pigtails" on the other side that likely connect to your fusebox in the passenger compartment.

Micro-USB is part of the USB2.0 standard and is rated for only 500miliAmps (0.5A, or 2.5w). That's not very much power at all. USB-C connections, cables, and power supplies are typically rated much higher 2A/10w up to 3A/15w). Here is good reference: https://www.etechnophiles.com/usb-port-power-output/

Since you are looking to power what I presume is a newer USB-C powered dashcam, it is likely that the power draw is somewhere in the 5w to 7w range. Drawing this much power from a USB 2.0 era micro-USB converter is likely to burn it out. It might work for a little while, but in the long run, it's likely to die. It may or may not cause other problems as it dies: overheating, plastic melting, smoke, smell, fire...

My advice would be to replace the wire and its power supply with one that is known to be compatible with your new dashcam. Installation is not hard. Youtube and people here will probably be able to guide you.

Installing a micro-usb cable likely involved also installing a 12v to 5v converter. It is probably a little cube (about 2" x 2" x 2") with two wires coming out: micro-usb on one side and a 12v input "pigtails" on the other side that likely connect to your fusebox in the passenger compartment.

Micro-USB is part of the USB2.0 standard and is rated for only 500miliAmps (0.5A, or 2.5w). That's not very much power at all. USB-C connections, cables, and power supplies are typically rated much higher 2A/10w up to 3A/15w). Here is good reference: https://www.etechnophiles.com/usb-port-power-output/

Since you are looking to power what I presume is a newer USB-C powered dashcam, it is likely that the power draw is somewhere in the 5w to 7w range. Drawing this much power from a USB 2.0 era micro-USB converter is likely to burn it out. It might work for a little while, but in the long run, it's likely to die. It may or may not cause other problems as it dies: overheating, plastic melting, smoke, smell, fire...

My advice would be to replace the wire and its power supply with one that is known to be compatible with your new dashcam. Installation is not hard. Youtube and people here will probably be able to guide you.
Thank you very much Eric! I'll have my wiring redone before installing a newer dashcam. I sincerely appreciate your detailed explanation it's going to save me a lot of trouble.

Back