Questions for all Garmin Drive App users

SawMaster

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Numerous and ever-changing
As regular readers here know I am reviewing the Garmin Mini2 and 57. Nice cams but I'm having a terrible experience with the app. In wishing to be fair to Garmin as well as the public in my review, I ask those who are using the Garmin Drive app to please answer a few questions for me. PLEASE do not reply unless you're using this app!
I'd like your answers to help verify my own findings and I will pass along your comments and concerns to my contacrt at Garmin ;)

1- Please describe your phone or tablet model and it's OS version

2- On a scale of 1 to 10, how well do you rate connecting to the app?

3- On a scale of 1 to 10, how easy is the app to use?

4- Describe any problems you have and/or any app additions or changes you'd like to see on it.

Thanks in advance for your help (y)
Phil

I use a spare 56 in the ceiling of my home to keep an eye on rat traps. Saves me getting up there. The app is slow to get going. In the car I just let all five 56 cameras record their own data. The app is slow so I just don't bother.

I'm running version 4.16.30 on an LG V60 (Android 11). I've run the app on other phones including the Galaxy S6 and LG V30. Experience was about the same on each.

App connection is pretty quick for settings changes like travel lapse and resolution. 7/10

Connecting to live view is slow and can be a bit clumsy in my multi-camera config (55 front/ mini rear). I use this only when positioning the camera(s). Transferring video from the camera to phone is very slow. I remove the card when I want the video files. 3/10

That being said, the app is on my android home screen.

As regular readers here know I am reviewing the Garmin Mini2 and 57. Nice cams but I'm having a terrible experience with the app. In wishing to be fair to Garmin as well as the public in my review, I ask those who are using the Garmin Drive app to please answer a few questions for me. PLEASE do not reply unless you're using this app!
I'd like your answers to help verify my own findings and I will pass along your comments and concerns to my contacrt at Garmin ;)

1- Please describe your phone or tablet model and it's OS version

2- On a scale of 1 to 10, how well do you rate connecting to the app?

3- On a scale of 1 to 10, how easy is the app to use?

4- Describe any problems you have and/or any app additions or changes you'd like to see on it.

Thanks in advance for your help (y)
Phil
1. Pixel 5, Android 11
2. 10, no problems.
3. 9 (with three DC cams)
4. No problems.

I use an apple iphone X on latest software on garmin 57
I rate connectivity at 2, very slow, constantly get messages asking to connect and for some reason and it has to connect to 2 different BT addresses
I rate app at 5, based on the numerous hurdles to connect app to camera, I have numerous other Garmin devices, fitness, bike computer etc and none of the other apps or devices are as clunky as the dash cam
I would like any additions/alterations that would address the above

My thanks to all those who have responded (y) Between you and info from other places my purposes for starting this thread have been finished, but I'll leave it open for anyone else to add comments to.

In short I believe Garmin would do well to completely revise or dump this app- too many people are having issues with it, it is limited in function compared to many other cams, and their cams deserve a far better app than this.

Phil

I guess I am a unicorn. Or it could be the latest hardware and software. Also, it helps that Pixel phones use pure Android.

Last edited:
Well I did check around on other sites and among reviews too- it's not just here that I drew my conclusions from. Some folks have no issues, but the majority of folks have mostly minor issues with the Drive app, and there's a few like me too. We're both on the 'bell curve'; just at opposite ends :rolleyes:

I gathered my info from here and several other respected dashcam sites, as well as from other respected reviewers. The "Drive" app definitely has problems. As we all know there will be some problems with every dashcam app due to phone/tablet OS variations but I couldn't discern a pattern indicating this was happening here. I'm still open to replies and suggestions :)

Phil

Using a Garmin 46, with a Samsung S20 FE 5G, both the camera and phone have latest software cannot get it to download photos, or use liveview. This also happened on a S8 Galaxy. When I had first got camera before the software it worked great. Have not been able to see videos or photos. I can control all the other functions on the camera from the phone

Hi Phil,
Thank you for sharing your experience with the Garmin Drive app with the community.
What new features do you recommend for the Garmin Drive app?
What would you like to change about the Garmin Drive app?

Back