Radio interference

David106

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius C2, JooVuu X
I have been experiencing FM radio interference since installing the 0803 and have identified the power cable as the source. All I need to do is plug the power cable into a power socket and even without connecting it to the dashcam I get radio interference after a short time. I can now replicate the issue at will. I have asked my supplier (E-Prance) to send a replacement cable. Has anyone else experienced this?

David

Just the USB cable ? or was it the Cigarette socket adaptor + USB cable ?
I havent not seen any interference, with my hardwired wired kit + USB cable..

I have the 12v car socket to micro usb power cable. I have powered the camera using a spare cable that I have and I do not have any radio interference but as soon as I plug the supplied cable into the 12v socket the interference starts. I have found a radio station where the interference is obvious immediately, other radio stations appear ok at first but then I get intermitant hissing interupting the broadcast and occasionally the station goes off altogther with only hissing.

I dont actually have to plug the cable into the camera, as soon as I plug into the car socket the interference starts.

I have much FM interference in my Renault Kangoo, and no interference in my Citroën Berlingo with same power adapters.

So, for my Kangoo, I have ordered 3 pieces of power adapters with no FM interference.
(because I have 2 lateral dashcams)

It looks like this :

There is a red switch (ON/OFF) on the cigarette plug.

I've ordered mine from estore009 on eBay, you need to ask the seller because not listed on eBay.

With these adapters, FM interferences were definitly gone !

Just heard from E-Prance, they are sending a replacement power cable to me.

If E-Prance send you the same cable, it will probably not work better. :confused:
What is your car ? (brand/model) ?

If E-Prance send you the same cable, it will probably not work better. :confused:
What is your car ? (brand/model) ?
It might be better if the interference is being caused by the DC-DC convertor.

I drive a Mercedes ML.

David

I have 5 power cables with my 2xA118, 0803, G1W and G1WH and they all give me FM interference in the Kangoo.

Since I have replaced them with power cable from eStore009, no more issue any more.

I have read that the convertors can be a cause of interference so hopefully i just got a bad one and its not a general quality issue.

It might be better if the interference is being caused by the DC-DC convertor.

I drive a Mercedes ML.

David
I also drive a Mercedes ML I use the cigarette lighter socket at the moment as that one is switched. We have weird aerials on our cars though. They send Phone/FM/GPS down one cable and split it in the dash. But I don't have any interference. However I pulled out the Command system and have Pioneer instead.

I got a small buck converter board that can do 12v to 5v and am mounting that inside the rear view mirror housing. Where the auto wiper/headlights sensor is.

I also use the front 12v socket, the rear socket in the centre console is not switched, I found this out after I flattened the battery. The ML is supposed to have circuitry that cuts power to all sockets it the main battery level falls beyond a certain point but clearly mine doesn't work!

I had the same problem with radio interference with my hard wired connection. I got rid of about 90% of the interference with a ferrous clip attached to the USB cable a few inches from the cam just before the cable goes under the roof lining. I reckon a good quality shielded USB cable would probably cure the problem completely.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191196610159

A bit late to the show here, however it may help someone else.

I have an Alpine Ezi-Dab in my car. After fitting the 0803 it stopped working due to interference from the hard wire kit. I found grounding the hard wire kit to the vehicle chassis cured all mine.

Hi ksmith,
I also have bad DAB interference with a Pure Highway Car Tuner in my Hyundai Veloster.
First I used the lighter socket with the supplied power lead, then a USB cigarette lighter socket with USB output and a USB lead.
It then improved a lot when I fitted a hard wired kit, but I still get some drop outs.
So what did you mean when you said "I found grounding the hard wire kit to the vehicle chassis cured all mine".
Did you just pick up a fused supply that is across the ignition, and grounded the earth, or did you do something else?

Terry,

I split the input power cables, the red being the 12v supply goes to a permanent live feed and the black is attached directly to metalwork of the car.

Thank's ksmith100,
I am going to make a short power lead (from a cigarette lighter USB adapter) and pick some power from the Sun Roof Switch above the rear view mirror.
I hope keeping the lead as short as possible may improve it even more.
Terry

Back