Random beeps while driving

ciclista71

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Dash Cam
ToGuard CE20 (broken), Viofo A119v3
Hi, I have just bought this A119 V3 after looking at the best dashcam article published here at dashcamtalk.
Everywhing looks fine, but I noticed twice already that while I am driving, I hear a beep and the screen turns on, as if someone was interacting with the camera. I don't know if this is causing some frame drops but did this happen to you as well? I am using the latest firmware, V2.5, the one that can be found in their websites.
Thanks!

What memory card are you using? Did you format it in the camera before using?

I am using a 128GB SD from SanDisk, brand new. I see the recordings in my SD, so it's actually recording.
I am saving TS files in H265

it’s an High Endurance Class 10, U3, V30. I use the same SD for my Tapo C310 security cam to register 24/7 without any issues, so I don’t think it’s an SD problem.
I checked the Viofo videos stored in the SD and they are ok. I didn’t watch the entire footage but all the files are there , around 500MB every 3minutes

The SanDisk High Endurance works well in the A119V3. It may just be a formatting issue. Format with SDFormatter. Perform the full overwrite, not the quick format. After SDFormatter, format again in the camera.

How are you powering the camera?

Yes give it a spin with SDformatter.
I got a brand new memory card ( Adata endurance ) at first it did not have the speeds it was supposed to have , only 30 % of it in fact, but a full overwrite format in SD formatter fixed the card speeds up.

If you are using a 3 party means of power, you should also try the supplied power source, memory card and power source are the most frequent things that give erratic camera behavior.

Ok I will give it a try with SDFormatter.
I have an USB Meter connected to the camera and I see no power issues (well, of course if something happens all of a sudden and I’m driving, I won’t notice it). I come from a ToGuard CE20 camera and power was never an issue. Anyway, good hints, I’ll try them both and I’ll report back.
Thanks!

I just wanted to update you: I have changed the power source because I was using a cable which was already mounted and belonging to my old ToGuard CE20. That cable has an embedded GPS, so maybe it wasn't so nice to send a GPS signal towards a GPS received of the VioFo, so I have replaced that cable with the original VioFo one.
I have also formatted the card as suggested. I have tested it briefly this morning and I haven't heard any beeps. I have also checked the old footage and I see that when the beep occurred, video got interrupted.

I still need to further check, though so far it looks to be following the nice path, so thank you for your suggesions! What I am still struggling to get is a viewer of my videos with a map. I have downloaded (actually, bought) DVPlayer, which I understood should support VioFo, the TS vile format and the GPS data, but while on the cam screen I can see speed and coordinates, the program doesn't show any data: no speed, no coordinates, and hence no maps; just the video. I don't know where to look at.....

Luca

Thanks, DashCam Viewer works, actually, although it often complains about the codec being wrong. After some seconds, is anyhow loads the video correctly.

2022-01-25_09h51_07.png

Sometimes, also DVPlayer works, meaning that data is shown immediately, or after a very long time, and only for some videos.
It looks like data is not consistent.
ffmpeg shows this information for the stream (ffmpeg -i 20220124074737_000011.TS)

Code:
Input #0, mpegts, from '20220124074737_000011.TS':
  Duration: 00:03:00.00, start: 0.032000, bitrate: 26658 kb/s
  Program 1
    Stream #0:0[0x200]: Video: h264 (High) ([27][0][0][0] / 0x001B), yuvj420p(pc, bt709, progressive), 2560x1440, 30 fps, 30 tbr, 90k tbn, 60 tbc
    Stream #0:1[0x201]: Audio: aac (LC) ([15][0][0][0] / 0x000F), 32000 Hz, mono, fltp, 104 kb/s
  No Program
    Stream #0:2[0x300]: Unknown: none

I tried to extract Stream #0:2 but I wasn't able to do it.
Do you see the same in your files?
I think I will post this message also in a new thread, changing the subject

I had a problem with my VioFo A129 beeping - I brought my camera into my computer and checked all settings and formatted the card. The only menu setting that seemed questionable was "Format Warning" which I had set for 15 days; I turned it off I haven't had any more beeping; could be worth checking.

Thanks Daiv727, I will take this into account. So far, after formatting the SD properly (and changing the cable), I do not hear any more beeps, but I have the "Format Waring" turned on as well, so I'll pay attention and it will be my next step in case the problem reappears

Back