Rear camera

Grindhouse

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought a Rexing V1P a few months ago with the rear camera. On Amazon it was suggested in the reviews that the rear camera is weatherproof. It's not, and that's silly since it has IR, so it would just reflect light back at itself off of the back window and wash out the image at night. I am using it on a Chevy Express van with no windows on the side or the back so non weatherproof is useless.

I've been installing security cameras for about 20 years now and understand how an analog video signal works, so I bought a standard backup camera that is weatherproof and a RCA to 1/8 inch connector, this did not work. I verified that the camera does work perfectly by powering it with a 12 VDC transformer and plugged it into my TV.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Or how the Rexing rear camera works vs the real world? Maybe even a suggestion for a dash cam with a standard RCA input for the rear camera?

Rexing tech support was useless beyond setup questions. (I'm assuming about the setup questions because I didn't have any)

Welcome to DCT @Grindhouse :)
All I can offer is general advice. The only dashcams which have weatherproof remotes right now are those meant for motorcycles, and the cabling would likely be too short. There is one listed for the BlackVue DR750S but that's a very pricey cam to begin with and even more for the weatherproof module, and I'm unsure of the cable length or functioning/reliability. Not bad cams but I don't recommend them for a few other reasons. But there are 2 current models of car dashcams which have such a unit in development and are near release, and these are cams and companies that I do reccomend. There's also one new model that will also be offering a weatherproof rear module some time after it's beta testing which is going on now. At least two of these and maybe all 3 will offer cabling long enough for extended length full-size vans. There are commercial-grade cams for this but those cost hugely and almost none have good video quality compared to the current dashcams.

All these remote cam modules have a digital encoder in them, and those have to match the processor and firmware being used in the main unit, so AFAIK there's no interchangeability possible between brands and models. There's also connector variations involved. If one were to use a different remote module with another can using the same processor it might be possible to find away to make it work, but I know of nobody who has tried this. And it would seem that a reversing cam module wouldn't work here for similar reasons as they won't be using a more expensive recording processor but one suitable only for viewing. Plus those are not meant for dealing with the considerable heat being generated by a CMOS sensor continuously recording, whereas those built for dashcams are meant to handle that. In a normal dashcam remote module that excess heat is helped with a ventilated case which of course won't work where weatherproofing is needed, nor can you just seal up one of these without frying something inside eventually. There are action cams like GoPro with waterproof housings, but they aren't made to handle the heat without really good constant airflow or conductive cooling from underwater use, and most do not offer loop recording which our use requiresso they're not really a practical option either.

Many non-official dashcam sellers know little or nothing of their products and indeed some of them are unscrupulous too. Most of us here recommend dealing only with known good local sellers who multiple members here have has good experiences with.You'll pay a bit more for the cams but in return you get good support, honest answers to your questions, and a quicker turn-around should you need to use the warranty. Your seller should have ben clearer that the Rexing remote wasn't weatherproof and I'm hoping they will refund you without a hassle. It won't be too long maybe a month or two, before the cams I mentioned will be available but no timeline's have been given officially so don't hold me to that. I'd recommend waiting for them as the most certain way to success as these are known good cams and manufacturers you can trust. You can be sure to hear about them here on DCT when they're released!

Phil

I've had a Rexing V1P on a van for over two years now, rear cam is mounted over license plate and has never been a problem. It's only VGA, but never failed. (My main disappointment with Rexing is their proprietary power supply and the fact that device refuses to function from any other, by design. Likewise Garmin products.) Maybe your rear camera was damaged?

Back