Rear View Mirroring Setting

CharlieG

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am wondering if there is a setting for mirroring the rear video on the screen, but leaving it normal on the recording?

I’ll share my use cases:
  1. I am often towing my boat. Sometimes long distances for vacations. I love the idea of being able to monitor the boat for flats, loose electrical connections or chains, or just for hooking up the trailer in higher definition than the cars rear view camera has...
  2. Sometimes I help someone move, or move large items myself. (Yukon XL / Suburban). I can’t see out the rear window so I can use my dashcam for a rear view. Sounds great but the images are backwards (car looks like it is coming from the left and it comes on the right for instance). So I mirrored the image. But now the recording is backwards
I‘am there a setting for this? If not maybe @viofo would consider it for a future release if there is support. And perhaps make the screensaver 15 minutes or more for those of us that need the camera for towing and are happy to take the risk / void the warranty to do so. 250 for a new camera is cheap compared to towing problems.

How about using a tablet to display the video over wifi, and use a video player that can mirror the video feed for display, then the recordings will be correct, the screen saver can be turned off on the tablet, and you have a nice big image. You don't need to use the app to play video over wifi, you can use VLC etc.

or just for hooking up the trailer in higher definition than the cars rear view camera has.
What are you using to display that?

How about using a tablet to display the video over wifi, and use a video player that can mirror the video feed for display, then the recordings will be correct, the screen saver can be turned off on the tablet, and you have a nice big image. You don't need to use the app to play video over wifi, you can use VLC etc.

What are you using to display that?

I think I will end up using my phone over wifi, I am ok with the reduced bitrate just when I am towing. My phone has a magnetic mount and I can place it on the dash. I think I will end up using the built in player though and just recording it mirrored for ease of use. i can always re-encode if needed mirrored.

As far as what I am using to display the rear trailer hookup, it's just using the phone to view the rear camera over wifi really. Although in my car I am going to upgrade the stereo to the GM factory setup that includes apple Carplay (including phone mirroring in the dash) and also HDMI. Then I can have my factory 8" screen showing my dashcam feed. Like a digital rearview (but lower).

You just got me thinking actually... Do you know if the AV out on the A129 can output the camera feed to the RCA jacks while in use / recording? That would be sweet as I have RCA hookups nearby that I could hardwire. All three screens in the car could be viewing the dashcam... I am sure the kids will love this more than youtube and netflix. :LOL:

Have you turn on the Rear Camera Mirror option in settings, it could make the image of rear camera to be displayed and recorded as reversed compared to the actual view.

Have you turn on the Rear Camera Mirror option in settings, it could make the image of rear camera to be displayed and recorded as reversed compared to the actual view.

Thanks for the reply! Yes I have. I was only wondering if there was a way to mirror only the Screen on the A129 and keep the recording unmirrored. This way when my screen is on I can monitor a trailer being towed or traffic behind me and have it look like a rear view mirror, and yet still have the recording look how it’s supposed to.

probably a silly request, and it would then have two settings in the firmware that could confuse people.

however if you have a list of crazy features people have requested put this somewhere towards the bottom. If you ever came out with some of these features that advanced users wanted you could always put them in a separate firmware menu labeled “advanced” or “experimental”.

you can not do that in the dashcam, but if you have a LCD screen connected to a AV out of a dashcam, it are often a feature in LCD screens.
That way you would have the dashcam recording the right way, and you will see mirrored for reversing needs.
Mind you AU out on the cameras that have that are SD resolution too, and the cameras that have HDMI it is far from sure it display anything while the camera are in recording mode.

I am not aware if the dashcams that also have a reversing camera feature record video the right way and only display the mirrored image,,,,, somehow i think the rear camera footage will also be mirrored then, but i am guessing here.

Did you want to view back of your trailer or vehicle?

If vehicle, I tested here on my truck. I connect my iPhone 11 Pro Max to VIOFO 5 ghz and iPad Pro 10.5 and go to live view while it recording. Of course I plug in my usb charger for the phone/pad for long periods. I can then view just front or just back or have a small window to view both.

I have the dual 4k version and my rear mounted on back window of my Dodge Diesel Truck, it monitors the inside of my close in back and has all windows around. Does a good job of capturing any activity in truck, including park mode. There are setting options for this. I did this on a trip for an hour and had no issues. Unit was warm to touch of course. It was a test and to satisfy my curiosity. Eh?

To install to view back of trailer, not too good option.

Keep in mind the limit of the cable to the rear camera. Mine won't reach the end of the truck, but in my case, I have a large screen backup camera, which I can turn on when moving forward. It time out, but quick to put back on when needed.

I am still looking to setup up a backup camera on my 28 foot (31 foot end to end) Cougar 4 season trailer. The options I have seen so far, was too expensive.

I have a couple ideas with the wyze camera, will test. I hear they have a battery operative outside unit out, but still in beta testing. Thinking I can then connect it to my personal hotspot and/or wifi when needed on my phone. The idea is to bypass the need of a router.

If I have cell service, I can FaceTime to my wife's phone and can see what behind, but most of the time, I am in the mountains and no cell service.

Until then, I keep motoring.....

Did you want to view back of your trailer or vehicle?

If vehicle, I tested here on my truck. I connect my iPhone 11 Pro Max to VIOFO 5 ghz and iPad Pro 10.5 and go to live view while it recording. Of course I plug in my usb charger for the phone/pad for long periods. I can then view just front or just back or have a small window to view both.

I have the dual 4k version and my rear mounted on back window of my Dodge Diesel Truck, it monitors the inside of my close in back and has all windows around. Does a good job of capturing any activity in truck, including park mode. There are setting options for this. I did this on a trip for an hour and had no issues. Unit was warm to touch of course. It was a test and to satisfy my curiosity. Eh?

To install to view back of trailer, not too good option.

Keep in mind the limit of the cable to the rear camera. Mine won't reach the end of the truck, but in my case, I have a large screen backup camera, which I can turn on when moving forward. It time out, but quick to put back on when needed.

I am still looking to setup up a backup camera on my 28 foot (31 foot end to end) Cougar 4 season trailer. The options I have seen so far, was too expensive.

I have a couple ideas with the wyze camera, will test. I hear they have a battery operative outside unit out, but still in beta testing. Thinking I can then connect it to my personal hotspot and/or wifi when needed on my phone. The idea is to bypass the need of a router.

If I have cell service, I can FaceTime to my wife's phone and can see what behind, but most of the time, I am in the mountains and no cell service.

Until then, I keep motoring.....

I meant using it to view where the trailer is hooked up (so looking out of the back window as if you are sitting there) I can see if the wires and chains are hooked up, etc. If I did the back of the trailer thing they sell a hookup to my truck (Yukon XL Denali) with a battery powered or hardwired RF transmitter that displays on the main screen in the center console. It's expensive but I might try that. For my use case here when I tow I am going to monitor the rear cam using wifi on the A129 and just mirror it. so it looks right to me (imagine sitting in the back but facing forward. I want to know if I see a car on the left side of the screen that it is coming up on my drivers side, maybe that will make more sense. Just a silly thing, thought it could be a fun conversation!

Back