Rear Window Camera

152bobby

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Thinkware Q200, 2 CH, GPS 256GB, OBD2/hinkware F200 2 CH Pro
I have bought all the kit for a professional hardwire install for the 422GW and rear camera. I have done a trial run myself for the positioning.

I have noticed that the rear camera which is on the swivel mount is pretty easy to move if you don't get the wire in the correct place. I'm thinking maybe using one of those sticky wire clips to take the tension from the wire, so that the camera will not take the wire tension.

Anyone else noticed this ?

I happen to have mine out handy at the moment so I just grabbed it to check. It does seem pretty easy to adjust, but it seems to also hold in place well once you let go. If the cable tugs on the camera and/or if there's any tension, I could totally see it moving the camera. It would make sense to install the camera so that there's no tension on the camera itself. Plus you could also consider stuffing some 3M tape in between the camera and the mount or something to better secure the camera and prevent it rotating.

some 3M tape in between the camera and the mount or something to better secure the camera and prevent it rotating.

I've often found that a small wad of Blu-Tack is ideal when you need to secure a wobbly lens. It's very secure but makes for easy adjustment and is easy to remove.

I used it when one of my old SG9665GCs developed a wobbly lens when the spring that operates the ratchet mechanism lost tension. I even covered it with a tiny piece of black electrical tape to ensure that everything remained as stealthy as possible but it really wasn't all that necessary.

It's a great idea and design, being able to easily adjust it. But I hope people are like me and want a nice tidy install with little or no wires showing. However, with this design, that's just not possible.

I'm sure I'll manage, I just wanted to know what other users where doing

Had a 322GW and rear cam last year, as far as I can tell you are supposed to run the cable through the rubber gromets and in the boot trim (1st image) and have no problems. Although the issue with the VW polo my family had at the time was its hatch lid was just metal. We were forced to just let the cable hand from the rear window to the weather stripping. When opening and closing the boot it would often unalign the camera even though the cable wasnt being pulled tight. Solved this with a 3m cable clip on the rear hatch.

1662387198594.png

Thanks for that. It's going to be a professional hardwire install. But I reckon, I'll still have a sticky wire clip just to be sure

hope all goes well, feel free to post the photos on the forum and rememebr to use a good u3 micro sd card

I will, once I get the new car. I've got a Genuine Nextbase 64gb SD card, so it should be ok. I may upgrade it to the 128gb or 256gb....I'll see how it goes. Thanks

Hi,

Just thinking about this again, as I get my new car on Friday and install is next week. Can the rear windscreen camera be flipped upside down in the settings ? As I was thinking about mounting it upside down in the magnet holder, so that the cable is at the top and can be nicely hidden in the roof lining ?

Hi,

Just thinking about this again, as I get my new car on Friday and install is next week. Can the rear windscreen camera be flipped upside down in the settings ? As I was thinking about mounting it upside down in the magnet holder, so that the cable is at the top and can be nicely hidden in the roof lining ?
no you cant mount camera upside down as magnet is only on top of camera, and theres no option to flip video in settings

I've just fitted my 622 with rear dashcam. The car is a hatch with rear lifting entry. The magnet is so weak it's impossible to make it stay in position as the connecting cable moves as it feeds from the roof liner above. My first thought was blutack which someone has already mentioned. For something at this price bracket I would expect better. I've had a few rear dashcams without this problem.

Back