Recommendations for a rear view dashcam?

GrooveClip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just ordered a Mini 803, but would love to have coverage of behind the car as well as in front and was thinking of getting a camera to attach to the back window. Do you guys have any recommendations?

Additionally how do you power/wire up cameras that are in the back?

The mobius is highly popular for rear camera, some power it with a cord all the way from the front, some cars have a ciggy plug out back too, if not the front one can be split up and extended to the rear.
It is possible to use a long USB cable all the way from the front, just not a cheap one witch i first tried, now i use the powersupply/chord that came with my G1W camera.
Some mount it off the headliner, others use a dualsided tape mount off the glass, me i use a supermagnet on the frame of my rear hatch, and then some thin metal bend to get the right angle taped to the mobius camera.

Thank you, yes, I've heard good things about the mobius and was originally going to get one for the front.
No 12v for me in the boot or the back, which is a shame.

I wonder if I could hide a cable in the trim/headliner somewhere and then wire the USB cable into the fusebox under the steering wheel?

So far I've had the best results running the Shadow GT680W in the back window due to the privacy glass - it's a big size though and I've not gotten around to trying the Mobius in there yet (I forgot to bring the sticky mount with me again this weekend!)

The Mobius is much more discrete and could be hidden nicely - another option is something like the A118 which has a nice form factor for the back window? Jokiin has some good stuff on the way like the SG7LA50G which is a better A118.

Night performance is better on the Mobius though with the B lens.

You can get hard wire kits from @JooVuu in the UK and you can just use one of the add a circuit adaptors and a 12v - 5v converter to hook the dashcam into which should do what you want

Last edited:
I use a dome g90 a70 version for the rear. No GPS. Using a Lukas lk290 type c that has two cigar ports.

when you have a mobius or something like that in the back, how do you secure video if necessary when buttons are not reachable

Yeah with a 64 GB card in it you will have to drive for a lot more houres before the camera get around to overwrite the file you wish to save.
I am not quite sure how many houres a 64 Gb card will take in the mobius, but i assume it will be around 4 houres before it get around to overwrite older files.

If you are on a really long drive, you will have to stop and back up that single file you wish to save on your smartphone or tablet, and then put the SD card back in the mobius for recording the rest of your drive.
But if you have 64 Gb then you will have to drive alot after the incident you wish to save get deleted by the camera, and i never go on that long drives myself so i just wait untill i get home to save the file on my computer.

Last edited:
when you have a mobius or something like that in the back, how do you secure video if necessary when buttons are not reachable

Keep a spare card in the car. Make a mental note of the time of the incident. When convenient, stop the car & swap cards.

Back